• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Art workflow methods

Xer0botXer0

Senpai
Hi people,

so I started with a door sprite of the dimensions that I like, then I used that as a reference to get default character dimensions, and so on!

It seems important to get the dimensions of things set so that when the relevant artwork is made one doesn't get the proportions wrong, I then realized well I may as well use the Aseprite dimensions file that's open and actually create the playable location there, infact why not use one file for all the artwork since Aseprite supports layers and frames, this is where the reason why I opened this thread came in..

Does it make sense to just use one file, to create all relevant artwork just on different layers, instead of the alternative which is what I've always done and that's to code, create artwork, add artwork to game maker project, or make a sprite, add it to game maker project, code it then repeat.. so now it's all the artwork first and see if I like it and then add it to the game maker project and code it all.

I've touched on this subject before, as have others.. place holder art first or finishing art properly but then having to made modifications etc..

Perhaps this is more application dependent Idk. It just seems advantageous, I believe aseprite also allows saving of individual animated layers in a project so that would make exporting of parts from different depths of a scene easy.

Now that I know better, I will never ever start a pixel-style game without having a convincing screen mockup in Pro Motion. From there, I export my PNGs into GMS, and I never worry about color palettes, resolution, or whatever.
These days I like to do stuff in the GameBoy resolution (160x144), and this is small...No way I could make and edit all the things separately and still have a convincing effect in the end. Plus, that means no more square placeholder if I can avoid it.
This also has the advantage of being inspired by the look of your game to come up with mechanics.