• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Graphics Art style, sprites in early dev

W

weiner

Hello everybody. I want to ask you about art style in indie games. I am programmer and I have problem with making graphic for my games. I even do not know what type of art should I use. I tried pixel art and it is really hard.
I own wacom tablet, so I was thinking about "hand-drawn" style. I inspired from game Dex. Cyberpunk game. I think that there is so much pixel art games, even every game have unique style. So I hope that I will have better chance to success.
I uploaded first sketch, but project is only on paper now, because I am trying to work on another project.

What do you think (not about picture actually, but you can say something about it too), what art style do you like? And I want to ask programmers how you make sprites in early game development.

Attachments

Niels

In early game prototype/development stage I just use blocks and basic shapes for anything :)
Then when I have 1 level/map done and the basic mechanics in place I usually start drawing sprites and tilesets. (think this is called a "gameslice" by some devs)

Thing is that it's not easy to tell you what WE like as art style, because the only fitting answer is "whatever fits with the type of game you are after".

From the artstyle jpg (btw use png's for gameart instead of jpg's) it seems you want to go for a gritty style game in platformer perspective.
-Go make some sort of "moodboard" where you search on pinterest/tumbler/google for things that match the "setting" or "mood" you want your game to reflect.
-Observe what colors those pictures have in common (try to pick 3 or 4 of them and use those as main colors for your art)
-Dont be afraid to copy! all artists redraw existing material.

The pixelart vs handrawn art is all about what resolution you want your game to be... in the end pixelart is less taxing and quicker to make (since you have less detail) but has it's own challenges.

and if everything fails... ask/hire someone else to do it for you.

btw. I don't consider myself a artist or programmer, I can do both.... a little bit ;)