• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Graphics Art assets practices information wanted

S

Shirsh

Hey guys!
First I apologise for a broken English, it's not my native language and I probably made a lot of mistakes.

Currently I investigating possibilities of using drawn on paper and scanned comic-book style art assets in Game Maker.
Artstyle is somewhere near the mood of Death Skid Marks:

Targeting for a PC. I'd like to see it ok in fullscreen on a quite big-ish monitors and in smaller windowed modes. Not an animations but static screens in a Oregon Trail alike game.

Search mostly shows me articles about "How to draw", while I'm interested in technical side of question: what is best practices of art scaling for engine, are there something like mip-maps required, or I can made some big enough art that looks fine at high resolution and it could be scaled down by engine on the run for a lower resolutions?

I'm mostly an art making guy, without making art for games experience, so probably don't know something obvious, I'm sorry if it's the case.
Maybe anyone could send me to a right direction to find information I need?

S

Shirsh

upd: suddenly I understand that I should dig at visual novels area, since they use hi-res pictures all the time
upd upd: not saying I find a lot yet, looks like everywhere it's about drawing too, not about what sizes or resolutions to stick with or what should be taken in consideration to not make it too blurry at big fullscreen yet be able to run on any integrated IntelHD >_<

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Shirsh

Or am I overthinking it, and I should just make big art that could be scaled down not in really ugly way, and gave it to the programmer?

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Some ideas:
  • You could investigate making vector art, it can be scaled up/down as much as you want, and Studio supports some formats natively. The problem is that they use a lot of processing power, so having lots of them may slow the game down, but if you're doing something visual novel-style, the game doesn't need to run fast (since the game speed is decided based on how fast a human can read).
  • There are shaders that smooth out edges on graphics nowadays, so using one of those for post-processing could let you scale up graphics without players noticing.
  • Having graphics be external and load/unload them as needed could let you minimize the strain on system resources.

S

Shirsh

Thanks for help Yal. Your points really makes me less worrying, I'll better go drawing then ^_^