• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Arranging external files in neat folders?

A

Aleksandar Gavrilovic

I have a lot of things exported with my game exe file, most specifically the soundtrack (in Sounds) and some inis (in Included Files).
I was wondering how to arrange them in neat folders (not in the GMS IDE but in the actual exported zip / game folder)?
It's probably simple but still, I haven't figured it out.
Ty

N

Never Mind

Are you talking about having a folder structure inside the app data folder?
You can specify the paths to save/load files from by adding the path to the file name.

Example:
ini_open("Backgrounds\JungleLevel\background1.png")

However, when there's files that you want to come packaged within the export, you can add them in by including them.
Including Files
You can add game makers typical "group" folders to the included tree but I don't think you have to worry about referencing the group names.

A

Aleksandar Gavrilovic

Thank you for the answer!
I am talking about Included files, the ones that come packaged within the export.
I tried to put all my Included files in a folder in the IDE but still it is always exported into root.
I think the folders in GM:S are there just to look neat in the IDE.
They don't reflect the packaging in the export.

N

Never Mind

When you include files
you will see them appear in a little folder added in the .gmx project called "data files".
That's only a temporary place though, when you export it packs everything into the .exe

No problem! I hope I've been able to explain things okay.

Last edited by a moderator: