Are weird concepts good?

S

Space invader

I'm making this weird game about fighting computer viruses and I find the concept itself normal but the enemies make the game weird. I find it weird in the good way but I wonder are weird concepts good? If you made a weird game what was your experience?

RangerX

Well, to answer your question, no something being wierd doesn't have anything to do with something good or not. It really is 2 different things.
Just imagine your character is actually a plumber, and italian plumber that is fat and wearing a mustache. He eats mushrooms to get big and eats flowers in order to throw fireballs!
If you take it for what it is, its WIERD. Like really wierd. But Super Mario Bros was a FANTASTIC game.

M

Morumotto

Doing weird and interesting things is always good. Just make prototypes of completely odd mechanics, or weird things. Just because something is weird though doesn't mean it makes for good gameplay. It's nice to think outside the box, but what matters most (in my opinion) is that something is fun to play. Sometimes people do weird things that are NOT fun to play and don't translate well to video games.

T

TDSrock

Being weird.

Honestly being weird really depends on the persons definition of the word weird.
I think weird is too much of a per person defined term that you can't actively discus regarding it. I would much rather hear a term such as unique. As that has a much more agreed upon definition.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Ask yourself: "Am I being weird to address well-defined, meaningful shortcomings of not being weird, or am I being weird just to be weird?"

Replace "weird" with "new" or "innovative", and you've got a question that way too many so-called "tech entrepreneurs" these days aren't asking.

S

Space invader

Thanks for answering this really helped me because I'm still a noob at game design and I try to use new concepts to play with.

S

Space invader

You'd get even more help if you shared some details about your "weird" concept. Because as others said, that term alone doesn't have much meaning. The concept, and how you execute it, is what makes the game good or bad.
The design of the game is your computer detected a virus breach threatening your data and windows uploads windows defender as a last chance to neutralize the threat. The gameplay is simple there are 3 lines and on the bottom there are 3 databases. The databases are the objective of the viruses and if they hit it they take 1 life point. The viruses spawn randomly on this lines and windows defender (antivirus) can move between lines to shoot the virus. The game is time based so if the databases survive that time you win. If the player dies the game goes on. All the information of health is in game with the sprites changing color from green (full), yellow(half), red (almost dead), gray (dead). The enemies are simple the first virus that is a spider (spyware) moves normal velocity, the second that is a worm virus moves very quick, the third a Trojan virus moves slow and takes a few hits and the last one no name yet but on a exact coordinate moves to another line. This is the whole design so far any suggestions are appreciated.

L

leonfook29

The design of the game is your computer detected a virus breach threatening your data and windows uploads windows defender as a last chance to neutralize the threat. The gameplay is simple there are 3 lines and on the bottom there are 3 databases. The databases are the objective of the viruses and if they hit it they take 1 life point. The viruses spawn randomly on this lines and windows defender (antivirus) can move between lines to shoot the virus. The game is time based so if the databases survive that time you win. If the player dies the game goes on. All the information of health is in game with the sprites changing color from green (full), yellow(half), red (almost dead), gray (dead). The enemies are simple the first virus that is a spider (spyware) moves normal velocity, the second that is a worm virus moves very quick, the third a Trojan virus moves slow and takes a few hits and the last one no name yet but on a exact coordinate moves to another line. This is the whole design so far any suggestions are appreciated.
That doesn't sound weird at all, as long as the game is nice to play. No one actually go and says how weird Splatoon is, as the game is literary a bunch of kid shooting ink at each other, and then turn to squid.

S

Space invader

That doesn't sound weird at all, as long as the game is nice to play. No one actually go and says how weird Splatoon is, as the game is literary a bunch of kid shooting ink at each other, and then turn to squid.
Thanks for the feedback. The game is fun one of my friends was addicted to it.