• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Are Spine Events Animation Events?

M

mazimadu

I was looking at the most recent version of the Beta and found that in the "Other" animations section, there is a new event added under "Animation Update" called "Animation Event".

For months I have been wondering if this event is the "Spine events" we have been asking for, where it is triggered based on event flags listed in spine. There is no way of me checking since I can no longer import spine json files into this thing despite owning the master collection.

So I ask, are these spine events?

M

mazimadu

FINALLY!!

Took you guys long enough. Thanks for the addition. Now we can make complex animation cycles and triggers. I can't test it though so I can't say for sure if it works as intended.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Since we're on about events, are there any plans for creating our own named events without relying on User Event numbers?

I used triggers to implement inheritable step behaviours back in 8.1, and I missed how effective it was. The spiralling number of distinct asynchronous events is getting a little ridiculous, and so is using the Social event for callbacks that have nothing to do with social networking. Furthermore, named events are an easy way to emulate methods within the current framework.

It's a missed opportunity that I think should be capitalized on, now that the Delphi card is off the table.

Last edited:
M

mazimadu

I hope, but doubt it would happen. With all the functions rendered obsolete and the slow rate of updates I would not be surprised if they abandon GMS 1.3 altogether.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
I can guarantee that we have abandoned GMS 1.3, but we did bring out GMS 1.4 just after that, and we plan to support that for some time to come, so all is good for 1.4 users

Russell

M

mazimadu

Sorry, I met to say GMS 1.4.:)

Personally I am done patiently waiting for updates and features to come my way. Now that I have most of what I need I will follow GMS 2 before I am left in the dust.

Thanks Russell!

K

KatoneVi

+rwkay

What version of Spine 2d is GMS2 supporting at moment? Is it up in the v3 now?

rIKmAN

I can guarantee that we have abandoned GMS 1.3, but we did bring out GMS 1.4 just after that, and we plan to support that for some time to come, so all is good for 1.4 users

Russell
Is there any ETA on the Spine Update for v1.4, and does it also include Animation Events?
(Ballpark figure is fine, just a rough estimate would be great!)

Also same question asked above - what version of Spine is it supporting?
Are v1.4 and v2 Spine updates on a par with each other or are there differences?

Tim

Russell
Same question as the others - any news about the GM 1.4 and Spine update? Also, would that include Events? Just curious!

-Tim

M

mazimadu

I too shall put aside my pessimism and join in the popular demand! Any GM 1.4 and Spine update?

rIKmAN

I too shall put aside my pessimism and join in the popular demand! Any GM 1.4 and Spine update?
No need to be pessimistic, it's been confirmed the update is happening for 1.4 by a couple of staff members, Russell being one of them.

We just want some details and a rough time to expect it to be released.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Okay, the Spine runtime changes are currently in internal testing and so should make it into a release sometime soon(ish). If there is anyone using 1.4 for a project and that urgently needs the updated features then they can be given a Beta Early Access version, but note that it is still in testing! If you don't mind this and want to help with the testing PM me and I'll see about getting you a version.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
The GM1.4 Spine Update is in test just now - but GMS2 testing is taking priority at the moment and I can confirm it also has the Animation Event in there.

I would not expect it this side of Christmas but early in the new year.

Russell

P.S. GMS2 currently supports the same spine update so it works with v3 and also has the Animation Event

M

mazimadu

Thanks Russell and Nocturne for the information. We all appreciate it and can't wait to test it.

On a side note concerning rIKmAN's earlier question, what version of Spine does events work on? I recalled animations with the Mesh feature broke when an update was made to spine earlier this year.

M

mazimadu

On a side note concerning rIKmAN's earlier question, what version of Spine does events work on? I recalled animations with the Mesh feature broke when an update was made to spine earlier this year.
I never got an answer for the above question. Please help me check on this.

M

mazimadu

I managed to get one of my old animations working with GMS 2. The thing still needs work with meshes and spine V3.5, but the big issue is that there is still no example on animation events. In fact there is no explanation on how the thing actually works since there is no documentation on how to script it. Please let someone fix this. It is odd for a feature to exist with no way of actually testing it.

M

mazimadu

On reading the help file, the animation even is incomplete. I am filing a bug report on this one.
It is a special event that is triggered by incoming Spine events that have been attached to the animation. For example, (NOTHING)

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
This has already been fixed and updated for the next release, so no need to file the bug. :)

M

mazimadu

Odd, I am running the latest version (2.0.3.56) on windows 7 and still don't see the example of animation events in the help file.:

Also I noticed a bug where if you import a spine animations json file first, a white image with a cross appears in place of the preview image. This is fixed when you import the atlas file (sprite sheet), but if you import a different json file, the previous sprite sheet is used. I will file a bug for that one also.

M

mazimadu

Sorry, I though this release was the next release. ;)

Ok, I will now test the event and tell you what I think. Thanks for the help

M

mazimadu

Alright, I have tested the functionality in the latest early access version and feel I can now share what I have seen so far.

If the code base is the same as what will be in the upcoming beta release than it works as intended. There are a few things to keep in mind, such as the version of spine to use. The version I used that worked the best was spine v 3.5.46. GMS EA 1.9.xx doesn't seem to be able to import any json files with events lower than 3.5 so use that to be on the safe side. I tested events with integers and they were able to detect them just fine. I will test these out further but share my thoughts on the Community Tech Support section instead of here.

Thanks again @Nocturne for sharing the event_data information. This was quite helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:

rIKmAN

Alright, I have tested the functionality in the latest early access version and feel I can now share what I have seen so far.

If the code base is the same as what will be in the upcoming beta release than it works as intended. There are a few things to keep in mind, such as the version of spine to use. The version I used that worked the best was spine v 3.5.46. GMS 1.4 doesn't seem to be able to import any json files with events lower than 3.5 so use that to be on the safe side. I tested events with integers and they were able to detect them just fine. I will test these out further but share my thoughts on the Community Tech Support section instead of here.

Thanks again @Nocturne for sharing the event_data information. This was quite helpful.
Both the SDK versions articles for GMS1 (latest EA) and GMS2 say that Spine v3.4.02 is the supported version, so it's odd that you say 1.4 doesn't import events from anything below Spine 3.5.

I haven't tested it myself and I believe you - so does that mean the SDK article is wrong?

JaimitoEs

Both the SDK versions articles for GMS1 (latest EA) and GMS2 say that Spine v3.4.02 is the supported version, so it's odd that you say 1.4 doesn't import events from anything below Spine 3.5.

I haven't tested it myself and I believe you - so does that mean the SDK article is wrong?
This means between the v3.4.02 to v3.5, the json structure does not chanded and the current runtime can pass the json files nulling the new features there are not included..

rIKmAN

This means between the v3.4.02 to v3.5, the json structure does not chanded and the current runtime can pass the json files nulling the new features there are not included..
I understand what you are saying, but that's not what he said:
<snip>GMS 1.4 doesn't seem to be able to import any json files with events lower than 3.5 so use that to be on the safe side.<snip>
That clearly says that events don't work in 1.4 using anything lower than Spine v3.5.

JaimitoEs

The latest EA is not 1.4;)

Resuming :

- The lastest EA 1.9.xxx can pass the json files of the newest version of Spine.
- GMS2 the same.
- The lastest GMS1 beta channel and stable still in 3.4.0.2 (at the moment); i thing @mazimadu is mixing versions....

Last edited:
M

mazimadu

Whoops, my bad, I meant to say EA 1.9.xx instead of 1.4. I have corrected myself above. Thanks for pointing it out @JaimitoEs