• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Distribution Appropriate places to share screenshots/videos of your game

Coded Games

Hello all! So today I’ve been putting together a big list of social media places to share screenshots and videos about my game with a little more detail than “Twitter/Facebook/GMC”

My primary goal is to find places where it is appropriate to share my game. I don’t want to be spamming random pages that I shouldn’t be. I don’t want to get banned or people annoyed at me. I don’t plan on sharing tons of stuff, just a coupe posts a week or minimum of once a week for screenshot Saturday.

The other biggest challenge is finding places that cater to more than just game developers. There are tons of places where you can share screenshots of your game, but the entire page is just other developers also sharing screenshots of their games. These pages can be alright, but I would prefer to get outside just the game developer bubble.

Here is the list that I come up with. As you can see, the vast majority of it is still gamedev related places.
  1. Post to Twitter and Instagram with Hashtags
    1. #gamemaker
    2. #gaming (open)
    3. #indiedev
    4. #gamedev
    5. #indiegame
    6. #screenshotsaturday
  2. Post link to Twitter onto GMC as status post.
  3. Reddit options:
    1. R/GameMaker (screenshot Saturday only)
    2. R/IndieGames
    3. R/Gaming (open)
    4. R/Gamedev
    5. R/GameDesign
  4. GM Related Discord Options
    1. Decks of Dexterity/Coded Games discord channels.
    2. Game Maker Reddit discord gamemaker_showcase channel
    3. Game Maker Mentors showcase channel
  5. Facebook:
    1. Post to Decks of Dexterity page.
    2. GameMaker Devs Group
    3. GameMaker Studio Community Group
    4. Indie Game Developers Group
    5. GameDev Show and Test Group
    6. Indie Game Promo Group
Do you have any other places that you post about your games? Any other forums, subreddits or Discord channels that are worth being active on?

Mert

There's a chance that your tweet might get retweeted by Yoyogames, they only choose the shiny stuff.
Reddit is fine, but it is not going to get much of an audience unless you have a large userbase.
GM Related Discord channels likewise.

The best option is Facebook

Coded Games

There's a chance that your tweet might get retweeted by Yoyogames, they only choose the shiny stuff.
Reddit is fine, but it is not going to get much of an audience unless you have a large userbase.
GM Related Discord channels likewise.

The best option is Facebook
I have had the fairly decent success with Twitter. Hashtags and retweets from Yoyo or other prominent members of the GM community help. For example my twitter here was retweeted by Yoyo and Nocturne and got around 1k views. Twitter is definitely is my go to place to share content as it's discoverability is quite high.

Reddit you might just get screwed over by early downvotes and then your post is gone. If you make it past that stage you can get quite a few views.

I definitely need to use Facebook more, some posts there can really get a ton of engagement but you are at the mercy of Zuck since there is no guarantee your post will be shown to anyone.

Discord is definitely my lowest priority option due to the fact that if I post in channel the only people who are going to see it is people actively looking at that channel.

Last edited:

Cpaz

Reddit you might just get screwed over by early downvotes and then your post is gone. If you make it past that stage you can get quite a few views.
God yes... Reddit can be a cess pool if you're not careful.
Randomly you can get down votes from people who won't say why they're downvoting, so it's just negative noise preventing any helpful comments from appearing.

I definitely need to use Facebook more, some posts there can really get a ton of engagement but you are at the mercy Zuck since there is no guarantee your post will be shown to anyone.
I've generally been turned away from Facebook for a number of reasons. Mainly because I'm not sure if any of my target audience would use it. If they do, there's no telling that they'll find it. The controversy surrounding it doesn't help matters either...

Maybe that's just my inexperience with the platform speaking. Do correct me if I'm wrong.