• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - Code application_surface will return the texture page

B

Big_Macca_101

I've tried a couple times to draw the application surface or just a section of the application surface but every time i reference it, it doesn't return the surface, instead it returns the games actually texture page as shown bellow.

Just to verify the bellow is the games texture page itself.

Just wanted to see if anyone else is having this issue before I log it as a bug or if I just have a bugged installation.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
What is it that you are doing? The app surface draws itself and if you try to draw it while it's drawing or being drawn to then it's to be expected that you get odd results. Please post your code and explain why you want to try and draw the app surface...

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
The application_surface is only created on the first draw event, so if you're trying to get the handle of it prior to this, then you'll probably get a -1, and I've no idea what this will do.

B

Big_Macca_101

The application_surface is only created on the first draw event, so if you're trying to get the handle of it prior to this, then you'll probably get a -1, and I've no idea what this will do.
Oh I didn't realize that, I think that may be the issue.

I understand using application_surface is probably a bad idea in general.

K

Kenjiro

Hibba dibba da dibba do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
The app surface is brill, it lets you do all kinds of post processing effects, simple pause modes, and if you scale it to the size of your room/view will speed up rendering a lot on higher res displays because you're not going to be rendering to 1080p, but - well, whatever your view size is. This also helps reduce cracks in rendering as at (say 320x200) your rendering locations will be exact, but once a matrix scales everything to 1080p (or above even), tinyt gaps can appear in sprites that are supposed to be sitting side by side.

It does of course also help in aspect ratio rendering as well... You should only disable it IF you need to. I never switch it off.

P

psyke

Using the application_surface is NOT a bad idea. I use it a lot on my games for fullscreen effects, like CRT and 5xBR shaders.
Also for room transitions =)

K

Kenjiro

Hibba dibba da dibba do.

Last edited by a moderator: