• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Mac OSX Apple Developer Program required to build even non-codesigned executable? (Solved!)

C

Cannikin

I'm on a Mac. I've got a Apple Developer account, but I'm not currently paying for the Apple Developer Program. I added my account to XCode and created myself a macOS Development Certificate.

I can do a regular development build or debugger build just fine, it's only when creating a macOS executable that I get the following error:

Code:
2017-10-22 21:24:10.495 Application Oven[46491:2521754] /usr/bin/security unlock-keychain -p DummyPassword
2017-10-22 21:24:10.513 Application Oven[46491:2521754] /usr/bin/codesign -f -o kill -s 3rd Party Mac Developer Application --entitlements /var/folders/28/jnjhhsv12tb7vw88lhnkpwz40000gn/T/App-Oven.eTPh8O/Mac_Runner.entitlements /Users/rob/GameMakerStudio2/Mac/GMS2MAC/Pumpkin Snatch.app
3rd Party Mac Developer Application: no identity found
I've got my Team Identifier setup in both general Preferences and my app's Game Options. I made sure to clear out the Signing Identifier field since I'm not worried about a signed executable yet. Do I have to be subscribed to the $99 Developer Program to make any executable, even if I don't plan to distribute it via the App Store?

Thanks!
Rob

I have the same setup. Got an old Apple Developer account on my machine, but no paid up for a few years now.

When you say regular development build, what do you mean, running the game within the IDE?

I can make a Mac executable with no problems as long as I delete the Signing Identifier from the MacOS Options.

By default the current version of GMS 2 repopulates the Signing Identifier with the text "Developer ID Appliation:" every time I restart my IDE, so I have to remember to delete it each time I want to do a Mac App build.

Have you unticked Build For Mac App Store, I think its under Packaging options.

C

Cannikin

That was it! I hadn't checked off Build for Mac App Store! I think I turned it on at one point when I was making various changes trying to get it to build but never went back and turned it off. Thanks!!

I

IBarcia

Hi,

First, I am from Spain so I apologize for my English.

I know it has been a long time since this thread started, but this is one of the few threads I've found on this topic so I want to contact you regarding the issue of building and publishing for Mac.

I am an amateur GM developer. I don't have a background on Computer Science, but I am an Engineer and have some notions of programming. So, I started learning GM and GML and soon I tried to create small games. I have a small game finished now that I would like to publish and give away for free so that people can enjoy it and send feedback to me. In those 2 years of experience with GM I had to solve many problems and learn a lot of things regarding video game design and coding, but I managed to solve everything using the Manual and this Forum. Now I am at the point of Building the application and publishing it and I am finding the strongest barriers and difficulties of the whole process. I am perplexed by the lack of information about the issue of publishing for MacOS. I find myself lost in a world of Apple IDs, Certificates, Xcode versions and OSX compatibilities... Apart from the Apple Official Site, I couldn't find any post, YouTube video or Website with valuable information and discussions about this. It feels to me like a big emptiness for a crucial issue that should affect a lot of people. I did't expect this at all. Apple has a strong policy on developing for its platforms (that involves certifications and money) and I think a bigger discussion on this issue from the users' side would be very valuable.

When I started developing my small games I was very focused on the development process and I never thought that the process of publishing would be such a problem. I see a lot of small games published for Mac and many people use Mac computers nowadays, so I didn't expected such a alack of information. I've been struggling for a couple of days now with this and I got some things clear now, but still the infamous interface of the Xcode gives me chills.

Well, I would like to ask you a couple of questions as a way of sharing the information that each of us may have:

1) I have a pretty old Mac computer (MacBook end of 2009, updated to OSX EL Capitan) and I've managed to use Game Maker Studio 2 IDE. So far this computer has served me, but I am afraid that the publishing step will force me to buy a new Mac. And it would really piss me off that I have to buy a new Mac only because of the publishing step. I would like to publish my games for Windows and Mac (that is why I bought the GM Desktop license) but the Xcode compatibility requirements are totally out of reach. Do you think I have any chance of keeping this computer? (Note: I am not interested in publishing for the App Store)

2) I don't know very well how I did it, but while I was trying to build a executable of my game I build an app that can run on my Mac without any problem. I would like to send it to you so you can test it and check if I could maybe upload it to itch.io and make it available to people. Would you like to try it? It would be very helpful to me. I tried to reproduce the process but now I can't create another build, so I only have this one, but it is finished.

Thank you very much for your attention and feel free to share any thoughts you may have on this.

Best

AndeeJee

2) I don't know very well how I did it, but while I was trying to build a executable of my game I build an app that can run on my Mac without any problem. I would like to send it to you so you can test it and check if I could maybe upload it to itch.io and make it available to people. Would you like to try it? It would be very helpful to me. I tried to reproduce the process but now I can't create another build, so I only have this one, but it is finished.
Congratulations on building the executable!
I'm in a similar situation to yourself, when you wrote this post. I have a mac that runs mojave and no intention of enrolling in the Apple Developer 99 dollars/ year sub. I'm just beginning to learn how to make games and just want to show the game I made to my friends who have a Mac.
I have been scouring the internet all day for a solution - can you remember how you solved it back then?

Any information on this topic would be appreciated.