• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Appdata question

Pro_bono

I've noticed that a new folder is created in Appdata/Local/GameMakerStudio2/GMS2TEMP every time my project is run, quickly piling up. Didn't it use to be that it only generated one folder per project version (until you saved the project as something else)? Wouldn't this mean now that save files wouldn't carry over from one running of the same project version to the next? I'd like to write a save system soon and it got me thinking. Maybe there's a setting somewhere..

Thanks

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
That's the cache directory for compiled versions of the game, not the local storage directory where files are saved. That's still %APPDATA%/gamename or %LOCALAPPDATA%/gamename.

Pro_bono

Thanks! I can't find any gamename folders in appdata or appdata/local though. Am I missing something about Windows maybe?

edit - There's some more gamename folders in Appdata/Roaming/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/GMS2CACHE, maybe that's them?

Last edited:

Pro_bono

I understood you meant replace 'gamename' with the actual game name sure. I've had a thought, I will create an ini within a project and then search for the ini in Windows, maybe that'll find it for me.

Edit: It worked and was where it was supposed to be, and solved the mystery too - I don't think there was a folder before because the project hasn't got a save system yet so there was nothing to store. Creating a .ini file in the project created a folder. Cool!

Last edited: