1. Hello Guest! It's with a heavy heart that we must announce the removal of the Legacy GMC Archive. If you wish to save anything from it, now's the time! Please see this topic for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

App content on Play

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by RizbIT, Jul 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. RizbIT

RizbIT Member

On the console while updating an app I noticed a section in the side menu labelled "App content" which previously we have not seen or bothered with.

It now stated a deadline of september 2019.

So does this mean everyone will have to complete this section for all apps and games they have published?

Does it have to be completed even if you dont specifically target families or kids.

Just for purpose of clarification.

2. rIKmAN

rIKmAN Member

One Google search later:
    https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/answer/9285070?hl=en

3. RizbIT

RizbIT Member

4. BaBiA Game Studio

BaBiA Game Studio Member

Right from that page:
    So yes, it looks like you must fill in that section for all new or updated apps/games.

rIKmAN likes this.
  5. rIKmAN

rIKmAN Member

If you've seen it, did you actually read it?
    The use of the word "required" would imply that everyone has to submit these details.
    The use of the word "need" would imply that everyone is required to submit these details.

One of the target audience demographics listed is "Your app is not designed for children", which says:
    The use of the word "must" implies that even if you aren't targeting children you must still specify this during submission and then adhere to the requirements listed in the two links provided.

BaBiA Game Studio and RizbIT like this.
  6. Pfap

Pfap Member

kermit popcorn.png

7. rIKmAN

rIKmAN Member

Nice selfie, you've grown a bit since you took the pic in your avatar! ;)

Pfap likes this.
  8. RizbIT

RizbIT Member

thanks.

say i make a game that im not really targetting towards anyone, so i just look at the game and have to decide myself what the minimum age or target age group is? so you could be wrong.. we know kids these days are tech savvy so i might not think kids can use it but they might.

so if set target or min age of 13 then all users under that age cant download the game?

9. rIKmAN

rIKmAN Member

There's a section titled "Your app is designed for everyone, including children".

10. Pfap

Pfap Member

A lot of this stuff is just Google protecting their own butt, because like you said if someone wants to find a work around or give a fake age they will. Still, if you follow all of Googles rules and get your app approved for the youngest audience I think it may help how you are ranked or displayed on the play store.

11. RizbIT

RizbIT Member

"Your app is not designed for children" prob the safest option esp if your game has IAPS, and say evben normal level of violence/gore (whatever that is) for example a side scroller/platform game where you have a gun and shoot zombies, that splurt blood upon being shot, might not be suitable for kids under 13 im not sure.

12. Pfap

Pfap Member

If you are not sure, then just err on the side of caution, or take a risk... what's the worst that could happen?