Windows Anyone know how I would go about processing Paypal or Amazon payments for in-game purchases?

T

Teppy

Hey guys,

I've been developing an online game over the past couple years that I will be launching in the coming weeks. The game is a standalone Windows game, NOT HTML5.

My question is, how would I go about processing payments for the in-game purchases I want to offer in my game? I've been unable to find proper documentation or an API or something to process in-game purchases, and that model will be much better for my game then to charge for it by itself.

Thank you!

S

Shihaisha

I doubt there are many GMS developers who integrated their own payment system into their projects. Most indie developers who release Windows games use Steam for monetization, I think.

T

Teppy

I doubt there are many GMS developers who integrated their own payment system into their projects. Most indie developers who release Windows games use Steam for monetization, I think.
I'd love to use Steam, but it's tough to get greenlit for a 2D F2P online game without having previous games :(

S

Shihaisha

I'd love to use Steam, but it's tough to get greenlit for a 2D F2P online game without having previous games :(
Well, if your game isn't popular enough to pass greenlight, perhaps it's too early to think about any monetization options. Setting up their own web stores and payment systems is what online games usually do if they are so big that getting or not getting a Steam release doesn't matter to them any longer, not when they are too small for Steam. If you make a new game and don't have any fanbase as yet, I think the correct approach would be to release it for free to see how it can perform. When and if your game becomes popular and there will be people willing to pay for what you do, you can introduce an updated version for a Steam release.

J

jackhigh24

steams not so bad at the moment, all you need is 100 votes and your greenlit, so just pop it on there and get on twitter and ask for help getting it greenlit, if you cant get that number then take a fresh look at your game or get some opinions from other people, pop it on the alpha section first just to get some feedback, that way you will get an idea of how steam greenlight will go and maybe get some off here liking it and then helping with the steam numbers.

E

elementbound

If you'd still like to process PayPal payments, I think you need to roll most of the implementation on your own. I'd recommend starting at the PayPal API. It's based on HTTP requests, so it's most probably doable in GMS.
You'd also need an authorative server which receives notifications of these payments, and can store ( e.g. in a database ) which player brought what.

Then again, I'm also speaking from very limited experience ( I'll be doing payment processing for a website in a few weeks ), so take my post with a grain of salt.