Anyone know a good tileset base?

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by LunarIceCream, Nov 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. LunarIceCream

LunarIceCream Member

I want to make my own tileset for a platformer, but I don't really have a template to go off of. Is there a good one somewhere?

2. pixeltroid

pixeltroid Member

I can try sending you a 32x32 tileset work on when I get back home.

3. Yal

Yal Member GMC Elder

Here's what I'd recommend.
    • Start off by making everything from rectangular blocks.
    • Make a grassy surface that tiles horizontally endlessly.
    • Make a bunch of background bushes/trees/cacti/fences/whatever.
    • Make a bunch of stone blocks. Make a plain one first, then come up with a motif (e.g. owls) and make an alternate block with that motif on it.
    • Make 2x2-tile versions of those blocks. Redraw the motif again with more detail, do it from scratch without looking too much on the original version.
    • Make a bunch of pillars and houses and other connecting details you'll need.
    • Do all these steps starting from the top left and going right and down, so the most important details (plain ground) are in the top-left of the tileset (which is the part that's the easiest to access)

Also, shameful advertising: I've made a bunch of graphics packs you could be interested in. This and this, to be precise.