• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Anyone here really really good with math?

Is there anyone here that is good with math and can look at this footage
and determine the shots per second of this gun?

I did not make this video:

Keep in mind that the barrel is NOT in sync with the projectile ejection rate
so don't pay too much attention to the barrel.

I want a decimal number, so for example if it's slightly faster
then 2 shots per second then say like 2.3 shots per second.
Whichever is more accurate.

I really need an accurate number for a project I'm working on.
And the GMC was a place I always knew for having brilliant people.

This isn't a math problem, really. I think you'd get better results asking if anyone on the GMC is a stopwatch :p
Ha! you are probably right, I just know sometimes these brilliant people can analyze a piece of footage and determine how fast things are.
I guess it isn't exactly a math problem but it still takes a skill that I don't have. Unless I'm missing something really obvious that I could use to figure this out.

G

GVmG

At 1080p 30fps you can see a grenade spawn in front of the barrel every 9 to 12 or so frames (hint:you can go frame by frame on youtube videos by pressing . and , for forward and backwards respectively). It seems to happen exactly every 10 frames, sometimes 9 or 11. A few times the grenade just hangs there for a frame before being propelled forward by the physics engine. A few frames derp (either a repeated frame or some tearing now and then) because the video isn't exactly the same fps as the game (and I'm guessing the game isn't running super smoothly either, with 3 grenades exploding per second and how not so golden the Fallout engine is).

That means about 3 shots per second. Could probably get a better estimation with a 60fps video, but due to how lazy programmers are I wouldn't be surprised if it's exactly 3.

Fun fact: the gun's animation does not seem to be aligned with the actual grenade launches, but it seems to be slightly faster.

Thank you a lot for your reply, this information is useful. I will see if I can find a 60 fps video.

Fun fact: the gun's animation does not seem to be aligned with the actual grenade launches, but it seems to be slightly faster.
You may have missed it but I did mention in the description that the barrel is not in sync. I mentioned that in the description because I didn't want people calculating
shots per second based off the movement of the barrel.

M

MishMash

just watching the video wont give you a fantastic estimate, given the game also switches into slow motion mode. If you want a really good estimate, looking at the sound wave-form could be good. For example if you were to download the clip, extract the audio, look at it in audacity and select a time interval between repeated segments to get the time between shots in milliseconds (e.g. 400ms) and then divide 1000 by that.

just watching the video wont give you a fantastic estimate, given the game also switches into slow motion mode. If you want a really good estimate, looking at the sound wave-form could be good. For example if you were to download the clip, extract the audio, look at it in audacity and select a time interval between repeated segments to get the time between shots in milliseconds (e.g. 400ms) and then divide 1000 by that.
I can't do that, the audio file it uses is not a looping sound effect and with every shot the sound plays over an already existing instance of the sound.
The sound doesn't have enough time to finish before the next shot is fired.

If this helps anyone here is a 60 fps video of the gun shooting in slow motion:

26:24 is the time signature it plays at.

M

MishMash

I can't do that, the audio file it uses is not a looping sound effect and with every shot the sound plays over an already existing instance of the sound.
The sound doesn't have enough time to finish before the next shot is fired.

If this helps anyone here is a 60 fps video of the gun shooting in slow motion:

26:24 is the time signature it plays at.
the overlapping sounds wouldn't be an issue as such, as there will always be a clear peak and pattern to the sound, but I realise after looking again, the main sound is the explosion which is when the grenade hits the ground, not on the explosion, so yeah, additional difficulty. If you have a clip of the gun being sustainably fired without a time gap, to get a more accurate measurement, count the total number of grenades fired over a period of time, and just divide.

i.e if 30 grenades were fired over a period of 10 seconds, that's 3 grenades per second. (The longer the time period you can measure over, the more granular your result, i.e. if you had a value as you described like 2.3, you would be able to get that by listening for 23 grenades over 10 seconds, but if you only listened for 1 second, naturally you cant count 2.3.)

Ultimately, I would say just get a rough gauge and then if you use it in your game, just adjust it manually.

For the sake of being lazy, just googling this weapon says 3-3.6 shots/second: (http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Grenade_machinegun) - 3 default, 3.6 with perks.

i.e if 30 grenades were fired over a period of 10 seconds, that's 3 grenades per second. (The longer the time period you can measure over, the more granular your result, i.e. if you had a value as you described like 2.3, you would be able to get that by listening for 23 grenades over 10 seconds, but if you only listened for 1 second, naturally you can't count 2.3.)
Thank you for your reply this helps a lot. Gives me something to go off of.

For the sake of being lazy, just googling this weapon says 3-3.6 shots/second: (http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Grenade_machinegun) - 3 default, 3.6 with perks.

I didn't want to use this information because a lot of experienced Fallout modders will tell you that the GECK and game have a habit of incorrect
DPS calculations compared to actual in game use. However from the information provided in this thread by GVmG along with what the
official stats are, seem to confirm that it is indeed around 3 shots per second.