Anyone have experience using DisplayPort?

MissingNo.

I have recently got a new monitor and I want to take advantage of its GSYNC capabilities which if I understand, need a DisplayPort connection.
But connecting the cable included with the monitor to the graphics card gives me a "No signal" message. Now HDMI works just fine but I can't for the life of me get displayport to work.
I tried checking connections, unplugging all cables, turning off the computer and monitor and updating to the latest driver which is: 446.14 and nothing works.
I never used DisplayPort before so this is new territory for me.

My monitor is a ASUS VG27AQ:
https://www.asus.com/Monitors/TUF-Gaming-VG27AQ/

Graphics Card is a MSI RTX 2080 Super:
https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-RTX-2080-SUPER-VENTUS-OC/

Any insight would be helpful.

EDIT: Oh, also I checked the ports and they seem to be in perfect condition.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Did you switch your monitor's input mode from HDMI to DisplayPort? If you leave it in HDMI mode, plug in a DP cable and pull the HDMI cable, you will get no signal as the monitor will be expecting an HDMI signal that isn't being fed to it. You should be able to do this via the monitor's on-screen menu - check its manual for the details.

MissingNo.

Did you switch your monitor's input mode from HDMI to DisplayPort?
Oh I forgot to mention that I did set the input correctly, thanks for the reply though.

I also checked the manual to see if I was missing anything but it seems it's supposed to be a plug n play sort of deal. So I don't know what is wrong.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Did you try detecting the display in the NVidia control panel? Sometimes you have to go through that process to get it to use ports that you aren't currently using.

MissingNo.

Did you try detecting the display in the NVidia control panel?
I'm not sure what you mean, I looked in the Nvidia control panel and I only see options for a multi monitor setup and I'm not using 2 or more monitors, just one.
I'm just trying to use DisplayPort instead of HDMI so I can take advantage of all the monitors features.

Oh and just so everyone knows I am using the monitor right now to type this very message, it works fine from what I can tell but I can't get a DisplayPort connection to function.
My card has 3 ports and I tried all 3 of them.

Last edited:

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Gotcha, I thought for some reason you had multiple monitors. I'm assuming you tried rebooting it with only the DisplayPort connected?

MissingNo.

I thought for some reason you had multiple monitors.
Sorry I forgot to mention that in my main post. Googling of this problem gives me people who have issues with multi monitor setups but I couldn't find many people having the issue I am having
with a single monitor.

I'm assuming you tried rebooting it with only the DisplayPort connected?
Yes, I tried with HDMI unplugged and must of rebooted 4 separate times.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Then I'm out...I've never had this problem before. Theoretically the GPU should pick up that there is only the one display and just turn it on by default.

MissingNo.

Then I'm out...I've never had this problem before. Theoretically the GPU should pick up that there is only the one display and just turn it on by default.
Crap, yeah I figured the issue I was having must have been obscure. But at least the main features I wanted work fine like 144Hz and 1440p. And I don't have many problems with dipping frames
in the games I play so I might not even need G-SYNC most of the time.

I guess until someone else replies I will have to try checking the connections a couple more times. I can only think that maybe something broke in shipping, I tried being exceedingly gentle when handling the monitor
so I doubt I broke anything.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
The main thing that usually works for troubleshooting is swapping parts, etc... so if you had another monitor with displayport or another system, you could test swapping things around....but not everybody has extra crap just laying around like that...I know I don't.