Question - General Any working video player for studio 2.0?

M

mudora55

I tried most video players on marketplace but they don't seem to work in studio 2.0, anyone knows if there's any extension that works? This is the last thing I need to do for porting my game to studio 2.0.... can someone help?

Thank you so much.

C

Crask

I'm joining to the question. Is there any hope for multiplatform (desktop) game developer that wants to use video within GMS? Without making extension by himself ofc. :) Or meaby someone know some news from GMS team. Meaby they're prepearing the solution within GMS?

S

Sam (Deleted User)

These ones work perfect for me in GMS 1.4 and GMS 2; I'm not sure what video players you tried

CTTVideoPlayer (Windows, Mac, Linux):
https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/1524/cttvideoplayer

Video Player - Direct Show (Windows):
https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/5615/video-player-direct-show

For the Direct Show one I recommend using MPEG-2 and MP2 for the codecs, (also make sure it is an MPEG/MPG file). Other formats have been reported to close playback abruptly. If you use this specific format you'll be fine. But if you can afford it, I really recommend either what zbox recommended for most platforms or the CTT player If desktops are all you need.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Sam (Deleted User)

Or you can try my extension, it's free! :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8b0f4t2vmrefebw/video_player_pro_2_0.yyz?dl=0

Comes with full project and samples. Uses the latest Microsoft Technology - Microsoft Media Foundation and is extremely fast.

It plays back any format that Media Player can play (i.e. - everything) :)
I don't know why you aren't selling that bad boy to be honest. Either make it free and open source if you want to go out of your way to be generous, or sell it so your time and work it took to develop it doesn't go to waste. That's just my personal advice. I really think you should be making money from it, even if it is just $2 like what I'm doing, your sales will accumulate fast for what your extension can do that mine can't. In addition, please put it back up on the MP at least, because not near as many people will see or know about that Dropbox link you posted. Trust me, it needs exposure. :) (Even though I already copied it to my Dropbox, if it isn't too expensive, I will gladly buy it to help support you). :D

L

Lonewolff

Thanks man! :)

Did you like it? It's my best effort yet.

Got a few older assets to release again too. Shame to go to waste - Text to speech, MySQL, etc..

S

Sam (Deleted User)

I haven't got the chance to try it yet. I mean it's not a waste, if you don't consider it one, I just want you to benefit a little more from your work. I hope I'm not part of the reason why you decided to make it free. Yeah my alternatives were either much cheaper or free than yours initially, but that doesn't mean you have to take the same route. My extensions generally speaking didn't take near as much work to make. The smallest one you made was Execute Application I think, but the rest were fairly enough work that I'd say you should at least be making something from them. But again that is just my opinion. It's up to you.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Yeah That's why I didn't agree with that one being sold. But apart from effort, making money is also about knowledge and ability. You can pay someone $50 to adjust your neck the chiropractor, and that process for them is super quick and easy, but they went through serious schooling to ensure they don't break someone's neck. Learning C++ isn't easy for most people, so even one line can deserve SOME money, depending on how you value your work, and everyone is entitled to make money how they want. Just because I wouldn't charge, doesn't mean anyone has to do the same or whatever.

L

Lonewolff

Yeah That's why I didn't agree with that one being sold. But apart from effort, making money is also about knowledge and ability. You can pay someone $50 to adjust your neck the chiropractor, and that process for them is super quick and easy, but they went through serious schooling to ensure they don't break someone's neck. Learning C++ isn't easy for most people, so even one line can deserve SOME money, depending on how you value your work, and everyone is entitled to make money how they want. Just because I wouldn't charge, doesn't mean anyone has to do the same or whatever.
That's it though.

Reminds me of when I was a technician in the electronics industry.

Total time spent - 1 min

Parts (paperclip - $1
Labour - $999

Labour - Knowledge of where to place the paperclip.

L

Lonewolff

The good with the bad.

The first iteration of my video player (on 1.4) took a solid six months to figure out. And the execute application took six minutes.

Gotta have good days to balance the bad. Although, I made about $8 in total for execute application ($5-ish after YYG tax).

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Sam (Deleted User)

So why are you not selling it anymore? It's very selfless of you to make it free, and that is very admirable, but that doesn't make it selfish to charge when you've obviously earned it and then some. My video player isn't meant to replace better ones - it is meant to be a cheap and simple one-function implementation to help people be at least somewhat satisfied enough to be willing to wait until they can afford the much better options there are - such as yours, zbox's and Captain Ten Thirty's. Mine is crap in comparison. :)

S

Sam (Deleted User)

That's awesome, I'm glad things are getting better for you. I'm hoping it stays that way. Now that I realise, we just hijacked this topic with a different discussion of some kind. We can continue in PM's if you want. My bad. ;)

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Not even a "thank you". I know the feels. If we remain patient, perhaps he will return. Edit: I'm such a hypocrite. Thanks for sharing it bro!

L

Lonewolff

Ah well. Not to worry. Stressing about it will just make us nuts. And there is enough nuts in this thread to open a bar.

rIKmAN

I gave the same advice a couple of days ago with regards to selling it, put it up for $4.99 + YYG Tax so that you actually get $4.99 per sale.

I left a review when it was up on the store but it got deleted, however I can say it performed brilliantly, even with videos gigabytes in size and Full HD resolution.
Highly recommended.

I should give some 4K videos a test now I have a 4K screen, but I expect it to perform just as well as it does playing through VLC like all the others did.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

I gave the same advice a couple of days ago with regards to selling it, put it up for $4.99 + YYG Tax so that you actually get $4.99 per sale.

I left a review when it was up on the store but it got deleted, however I can say it performed brilliantly, even with videos gigabytes in size and Full HD resolution.
Highly recommended.

I should give some 4K videos a test now I have a 4K screen, but I expect it to perform just as well as it does playing through VLC like all the others did.
That's really impressive! I'm excited to try it out.

L

Lonewolff

Hehe! Not gonna lie, I did good! :D

Old rIKmAN was getting 6600 FPS (from memory) on his GTX1080 (1060 was it? Dunno). I'd get ~2500 on an aging GTX750.