• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Any way to show old-style windows?

bsabiston

I've been working with GMS2's giant scrolling window of windows for a while now, and I guess I don't see the appeal of it. I never know where my windows are, so I am always scrolling around blindly looking for them, or else I have to press cmd-T and just type what I want, which defeats the purpose of the big window. I could do that with any kind of window setup. It just gives me an unsettling feeling to not know where I am in this big map of windows that is always changing.

I just went back to GMS1.4 to check something in an old project, and it's more traditional windows setup just seems far more sane to me. Things stay where you put them. Is there any way to do that same thing in GMS2? Just turn off the big scrolling wasteland of space?

Last edited:

Toque

I’ve only used GMS2. But I kind of get what your saying. I’ve gotten in the habit of setting tabs to navigate to different objects.

bsabiston

Yes that does help. But it is mostly scripts I'm jumping between. I don't think you can do the tabs with those?

Toque

I wish I could dock objects I am working on and easily jump between them. I can open workspaces and just place one object in each and jump around to different work spaces but they are not labelled automatically. ** I should look through the manual again for workspace options.......** For some reason Recent Windows misses some windows for me, annoying..... I should try that again with the recent updates. That would be a good option.

Or even a back button that would return you to the last window you were in. A lot of times you go and check something and just want to go straight back to where you were working........ Tab does this but its extra clicks and you have to remember whats in those numbered tabs.....

I get annoyed with extra clicks but its a losing battle here. If you suggest something that saves a couple clicks people say "its just a couple clicks why are you complaining about that?" "Once you get used to the long way it won't matter."

But its a couple clicks 50 times a day...... every day.....! Just annoys me when there are clicks that just don't need to be there...

acidemic

You can use "Recent Windows" menu to jump between recently opened scripts/objects/sprites/etc. Also in 'File > Preferences > General Settings > Recent Windows' set 'Maximum windows to display' from 10 to let's say 100. That's what I am using at the moment and I think it is the best solution of navigation problem in GMS2.

M

Misty

I've been working with GMS2's giant scrolling window of windows for a while now, and I guess I don't see the appeal of it. I never know where my windows are, so I am always scrolling around blindly looking for them, or else I have to press cmd-T and just type what I want, which defeats the purpose of the big window. I could do that with any kind of window setup. It just gives me an unsettling feeling to not know where I am in this big map of windows that is always changing.

I just went back to GMS1.4 to check something in an old project, and it's more traditional windows setup just seems far more sane to me. Things stay where you put them. Is there any way to do that same thing in GMS2? Just turn off the big scrolling wasteland of space?
This is exactly why I prefer GM 1.4

And the sprite editor of GM2 also makes no sense to me.

I will try acidemic's suggestion but it sounds too good to be good.

acidemic

Tell what do you think about this "Recent Windows" menu.
By the way that's how it looks like on my PC... i think it's great for navigation:
recent_windows.jpg

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Is there any way to do that same thing in GMS2?
Rather than manually scroll around, I just double-click the object in the resource tree, so it automatically scrolls to the "events window" for that object. For me, this approach is superior to Studio 1.4, where you must constantly close / open windows all the time.

And the object's events window can remain open without cluttering anything else. I suppose it's a matter of taste, but I much prefer the Studio 2 layout.