• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Any way save window size\disable maximize on open?

J

Justin Keverne

This is a minor issue in the scheme of things but one that's impacting my workflow. Because I have several windows open at once while working I don't want any of them to be maximized. With the previous version of GameMaker (1.4) I could size and position the IDE window as needed and it would retain that size every time I opened it. The newest version (2) doesn't work that way, it always defaults to maximized and doesn't retain the window sizing or positioning I set, meaning I have to keep changing it every time I open the IDE.

Am I missing some option in the Preferences to have it remember window sizing? Is this a bug? Is this functionality going to be added in a later release?

I know it's not a big issue but it's a cause of frustration that wasn't present before.

JSJ

See this is an old question. But I have the same problem.

I work with a ultra wide monitor and having maximized the IDE is annoying.

Any option to save window size and position?

Japster

@JSJ I know before Windows 7 there were free programs I used that did this for you, making the necessary changes to window size AND position - apparently MS took this out after Win7 (I imagine it's a fudge because they never fixed that issue where if a window was off-screen, you couldn't get it back (unless you knew to choose move, then used the cursor keys, which, you guessed it, they also seemed to have screwed up that functionality at times - anyway I digress! :) ), and Win10 doesn't remember positions itself apparently (though some apps do, hence some apps do it), so might not even be a YoYo thing (although they can easily get it do this this in GMS2 I guess)... :)

A quick search brought up a couple of free ones, with this quoted post mentioning one of them - "ShellFolderFix" - Not sure if I can post links, so a quick google should help.... :) :-

"It boggles the mind why MS took this basic REQUIRED feature out of Windows 7 and didn't put it back in Windows 10. But then that's MS either never running things by the actual users, or when they do, deciding the users don't know what they're talking about.

But having said that.... ShellFolderFix is a great free program to remember your program window's position and size. I've been using it since Win7 and now on Win10 and it works with 99% success. (Non standard programs, like Verizon's Message+ for the Desktop and some others, don't work with it because of their poor coding)
"