Any other tabletop RPGers here?

ceaselessly

I know you're out there. Who else here is into tabletop RPGs? D&D, Fate, Pathfinder, whatever it is.

I've been playing D&D 5th Edition for a while now. Relatively new to tabletop RPGs as a whole, but when I first started playing 5e I feel like I found a missing piece in my life.

My main characters are a Tabaxi ranger whose military training has made them much more reserved and methodical than is typical of their race. My other character is a dwarf fighter who hates fighting. I like to play characters that embody contradictions -- it makes roleplaying them a lot of fun. I'm also getting ready to DM a campaign for the first time. Done a few one-shots and really enjoy it, so I've got the reigns once my group finishes our current campaign.

What are the games you play? Who are your characters? Any memorable moments you want to share?

Last edited:

AnotherHero

I enjoy tabletop games way more than video games! In fact, my path to video game development started at tabletop game development, that started with building a DnD campaign with some custom mechanics!

We currently play DnD 5e, but I played 3.5 for a decade or more.

My favorite character was a Kenku. His name was "Klik-Klak", because his real name was (to common-speakers) a jumble of unpronounceable noises. A fun limitation of Kenku was that they can't exactly speak normally, however, they can perfectly repeat anything they'd heard before.

This was put to use in a really fun situation. My party was infiltrating the hidden lair of a cult who were trying to ascend their leader to Godhood. We did not want this to happen, as their leader was our primary villain. The cultists spoke a language none of us recognized, but they were chanting something. We made a couple bad stealth rolls, and ended up all getting captured. When they were binding me, I made an attempt at repeating their chant, in my captor's voice. He let me free to "join" them. Having now blended in (and the leader not knowing who I am), I was able to (over the course of a really long act) rescue the party!

It was a lot of fun and I'd like to revisit that character, but the campaign ended a while ago.

Other than DnD, I love Scythe and Gloomhaven (which is basically an RPG)!

ceaselessly

That's a great story! My favorite thing about D&D is the way character races/classes contribute to creative problem solving. Combat is fun, but doing something unexpected is even better.

I've heard good things about Scythe -- it's on my radar as a candidate for the next game system I want to learn.

Sir Raitan

I got into D&D just a few weeks ago and I've been hooked ever since I had my first session. Granted, it took a while for our group to really get into the characters we were playing (only the DM had previous experience playing D&D), but after that it was perfect. Everything from the combat system to the monster lore just seems to click with me.

For my first character I chose a Wood Elf Ranger who's an ex military in search for revenge. Even though it seems like a cliché I wanted my first character to be easily understandable to make for an effective role play. Plus given how the d20 just so happens to hate me it wouldn't be a huge surprise if my character dies in the next few sessions so I don't know if I should get too attached to him.

Anyway, I love the game and I'm already looking forward to my next D&D session.

D

Dragoen_Mage

Been playing D&D 3.5, then Pathfinder for about 11 years now. 9 of those years with one group.

Best adventuring group we ever had was a power mad doctor traveling by magic carriage across the country pretending to be emissary of the king and his "friends". We still tell stories of "Dr. Vitus and the Known Associates" back to each other around the table. I played a paranoid rogue who thought our main antagonist was a Lich because his name was Tiberius. We hired a pair of bandit bards because the DM always rolled 20s on knowledge checks if we asked those two any particular question, for a price. They ended up with more of the loot than the party.

Ah the memories, failure to sneak up on a(n awake) dragon, breaking into a prison and pretending to be the guards when the warden arrives early, stopping the assassination of a prominent official by botching our own assassination of a prominent official (not the same official), saving an orphanage and then NOT burning it down. That was a heck of a game.

Rob

The closest I've gotten to playing Tabletop RPG's are games like Descent / Warhammer Quest. I just don't know anyone who plays lol.

I do like to watch GM channels on YouTube though - I always find their D&D stories interesting, regardless of the topic.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
I play Battletech: Alpha Strike every now and then. Its a simplified version of battletech(that you can complete in a couple hours instead of days). Battletech has a few RPG elements, but it isn't as much about RPG stats and is more about battlefield strategy. I've always been interested in tabletop games and RPGs, but they are a time investment for sure and I've never invested all that time.