Any legitimate way to get GM 8.1 Pro?

M

Moonwilles

I own the paid version of GM:Studio and its Android Exporter (got it from the Humble Bundle). Is there any way to get GM 8.1 or GM 7 (legitimately)?
Thanks.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
If you've got Studio, I don't see why you would go back to GM8 or 7 :p I kept using 8 for well over 2 years after Studio's release, but once I switched over I never really looked back... there's been a lot of cool stuff added in that makes 8 inferior. Sure, there's been things removed, but they weren't all that great anyway and can be worked around. (Instead of execute_string, for instance, you could put the string in a script and execute that instead... sleep() is a bit harder to replace, but possible to replace with alarms or state machines)

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
7 and 8 also don't work properly on anything after windows 8 due to the way Microsoft have changed audio management - they just crash. (games produced)

HermitPal

In Gamemaker Studio you can go into the general preferences and select different skins.
I was use to GM8 so I picked the GM8 skin.
Just a visual thing but I guess it could be useful for you.

T

TheRaven81

I'd like to get my nephew into learning, and I'm thinking it would be best to start him with that instead of Studio, so that I can give him my 2 Game Maker books to learn from. And then if he likes and enjoys it, then I'll move him to Studio later. But the books use 6 / 8.1, so I'd rather him have the software the books use so that he can follow along with them easier.
Only if you previously purchased it - if not no. It's no longer for sale.
So if this is the case and I already bought it previously, where can I get it? I was hoping there's a legitimate place I can get it, because I searched online for one, and there's several places, but I don't want to download it from somewhere random that I don't know if I can trust. i already have a Standard/Pro license for it, I've just lost my installer somehow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
AFAIK if you have an existing license, you can contact Yoyogames' customer support for the installer. It's just not open for new purchases.

EDIT: Just keep in mind that GM8 itself might not work properly when run on Windows 8 or 10, and chances are its created games won't either.

A

AnonyMouse

I know about the skins even lost some time making mine but cant change icons dont know why. GM 8 skin has some problems.
GM 8 is good also when you rewrite some old games and need to check some things. Even if it is stopped it would be nice to have all old versions listed for download. I've collected few versions even found v. 1.1, 4.3, and also have 5, 6, 7, 8 but not 8.1. Maybe because I am conservative and retrograde :)
V. 8 has one great advantage to GMS and that is the great speed of "compiling", which is very useful in old PC and also in "game prototyping".

fawf

7 and 8 also don't work properly on anything after windows 8 due to the way Microsoft have changed audio management - they just crash. (games produced)
Out of curiosity, could this be got around if the audio was handled via a .dll like super sound system instead of using the internal system?

RekNepZ

GMC Historian
I still occasionally use GM8 to revisit some of my oldest projects without having to import them into studio. Other than that, there's not really any reason to use the older versions.

Zerb Games

There's no need unless you are attempting to wrap up purchases. If you've already got a license [ADMIN EDIT: contact the help desk and they'll help you get a legit copy]. Otherwise use studio, the free version offers practically all that GM 8. has to offer and more.

EDIT SORRY ADMIN... I have a lot of respect for you guys and what you've done over the years, but you are no longer selling GM8.1 or GM8.0 which means we have no way of of getting it with legitimacy, or so I thought. Either way it t'was mostly a joke.... Sorry guys );

Last edited:

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Out of curiosity, could this be got around if the audio was handled via a .dll like super sound system instead of using the internal system?
Since the problem is on Windows' side, chances are anything that uses the old audio system will crash. You'd need to use a DLL that hooks up to Windows' new audio system.