Android Any ideas about app monetization with GlobalHop?

E

Eriksaw

I'm nearly to release my first game and I'm looking for a good monetization method. I know a lot of people are offering to try admob but since I heard about GlobalHop I'm really keen to know more about it because I like the idea of ads free SDK. There is basically zero info about them on the net so hoping that someone here will know more about them.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
That seems like a pretty shady operation... I would NOT be happy if I discovered that a game was using my device wifi/data for undisclosed purposes. It's bad enough that location and stuff are constantly draining the battery without games doing it to. It's like letting them install a mining app so that while the game is idle it's using the CPU for bit coin mining or something.

Last edited:
E

Eriksaw

Some quotes from their page: "No shady permissions required and GDPR safe"
"SDK return responses to requests to the Globalhop ecosystem without slowing down users’ devices or draining their battery."

So you're saying they're kinda telling lies on their home page? It doesn't look dodgy for me tho.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
"SDK return responses to requests to the Globalhop ecosystem without slowing down users’ devices or draining their battery."
I can't see how that's possible, tbh. If they are data mining in the background, then it HAS to be using battery power, and if you are on a data plan, then it'll be using up that too, and without the player's knowledge. Not everyone has wifi and not everyone is on unlimited data, so you are potentially costing your player base money.

EDIT: Just seen they say "Only on WIFI", so my comments above are based on a mis-conception...

As for the GDPR safe, I'm sure it is, but that doesn't make it any less shady. WHAT data are they mining? To what ends are you being an accomplice in it? Sorry, but as a user I like to know what apps are doing, and this is anything but transparent, and as a developer it worries me too for the same reasons. The fact that they don't seem to list anywhere the developers that they've already worked with and that use their SDK is in itself a bit shady! Look at the InMobi page - it clearly lists their customers. As do Chartboost, TapJoy, MoPub, and a long list of other monetisation businesses. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, it's just that I get a really dodgy vibe from that page and the way it sells itself and describes it's business. I wouldn't touch them...

Last edited:

curato

I have dabble in crypto mining (not in my games). All a mining app really needs permission wise is internet, but they are very processor intensive. It would make you app drain the battery on a mobile device really hard. You should declare that upfront just like ads etc so users can decide if that is something they are ok with.

Having said that, I would take me nearly 3 grand to build you a rig to make a few dollars at today's exchange rates. Mobile devices are terrible at mining currency. So, you small cut of the action even if your game is popular wouldn't be that much. The only one making money off that is probably global hop.

E

Eriksaw

I have double feelings about this battery draining stuff right now. I found this answer on their FAQ field and it kinda says different things from the first quote I made: "The Globalhop SDK may be set up to work only while charging, so battery draining may be completely avoided. Even though if you chose to keep SDK working on battery, it is build so, that SDK does it’s job and goes off and doesn’t use any measurable battery resources. The SDK is working while device is idle only, so user will not meet any slow down effects. Also, SDK doesn’t process any large calculations, so it does not use much computing power." So on one hand, it can drain the device battery, but you can change the settings and avoid that.

From what they are giving out on their page, I think there are several things they could be doing, like cooperating with companies and testing page availability from various devices/locations, and so on. That's only my theory of why they would need to route some traffic but as they're saying it's GDPR safe, I don't think there would be some shady things going on your device background.

rIKmAN

It seems like every possible negative that has been mentioned by other people you have argued against and said you don't think that is happening, so it sounds like you already have your mind made up.

Report back how you get on with it.