Any good methods of learning more about coding

Zazky Man

Sorry that if the wording of the title was bad I'm only really experienced with DnD and a thing or two on coding.
I wanted to know if there are any good youtube channels, coding camps or even websites I could visit to learn more about coding.

Xer0botXer0

Senpai
yeah.. just get started. Eventually the momentum and desire to learn will have a snowball effect and you'll be leagues ahead of where you are now in no time.

Slyddar

There are heaps of youtube channels and tutorials. My advice is just go through any Gamemaker tutorial, and make the project yourself while following along. Just the exposure to the presenter coding and explaining while you do it will allow you to absorb some of the knowledge and improve your skills over time. I have a beginner to intermediate DnD platformer tutorial in my sig, maybe try that one, as there is a vast amount to learn just in that alone.

A good basic CS class would be what I suggest, instead of something focused on GML. Everything you will learn will be applicable, and the knowledge will be much more reusable.
Python is fun and easy to start with.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Good point... I assumed this topic is about GameMaker because it was posted in the Programming forum on the GMC, but I may have been wrong to assume that. Re-reading the opening post, it indeed sounds like this is more about coding in general than GM. I'll move this to Off Topic, then. :)

In that case: I'd say where to look depends on what you want to do. "Coding" is a very broad spectrum. Do you have any goals in mind? Anything you'd like to be able to program? Any general direction of the computer science field that interests you? This would allow us to provide you with more suitable suggestions.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Just mess around, come up with a project and learn how to use new functions and algorithms and such
and just pratice doing them

you get better with time and experience

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat
What I recommend is that you decide what you want to make, and don't even worry about whether you know how. Then, try to make that thing with what knowledge you have. Get as far as you can, and when you eventually hit a wall, or even if you just succeed, which is possible, go online and see how other people have done it and learn from their methods.

Also, the official documentation is great and easy to use. Just search related keywords and see what you can glean from that.

Edit- What I don't recommend is that you go and just passively watch tutorials without trying to implement what you learn from it. It's much the same as getting good at a video game. Don't let yourself just watch tips and tricks videos. The fastest way to "git gud" is to just play the game.

Sorry that if the wording of the title was bad I'm only really experienced with DnD and a thing or two on coding.
I wanted to know if there are any good youtube channels, coding camps or even websites I could visit to learn more about coding.
A good basic CS class would be what I suggest, instead of something focused on GML. Everything you will learn will be applicable, and the knowledge will be much more reusable.
Python is fun and easy to start with.
Good point... I assumed this topic is about GameMaker because it was posted in the Programming forum on the GMC, but I may have been wrong to assume that. Re-reading the opening post, it indeed sounds like this is more about coding in general than GM. I'll move this to Off Topic, then. :)

In that case: I'd say where to look depends on what you want to do. "Coding" is a very broad spectrum. Do you have any goals in mind? Anything you'd like to be able to program? Any general direction of the computer science field that interests you? This would allow us to provide you with more suitable suggestions.
I'd recommend Harvard CS50.

tetris_mess

I just look for ways to frame the situation positively. I also avoid the direction of any abuse in the forums that spreads like wildfire around here.

ohms

ive had more luck with using linkedin learning to teach myself some SQL and python and C#. it also helps to pick up an oreillys coding book. I took one college course on algorithm design and programming which we were only allowed to use C. It wasnt easy but it helped so much moving to the newer languages, Also Id recommend picking up a remedial math course especially if you've been out of school for a while like myself.