• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Any good lighting tutorials for GMS2?

Hello! I'm looking to create an immersive darkness effect for my game, capable of circular lighting around the player and various objects (like torches on walls etc). Are there any decent tutorials, preferably videos, on how to achieve this in GMS2? I think a lot of the old ones I used no longer work due to the change from views to cameras. Thanks!

samspade

Hello! I'm looking to create an immersive darkness effect for my game, capable of circular lighting around the player and various objects (like torches on walls etc). Are there any decent tutorials, preferably videos, on how to achieve this in GMS2? I think a lot of the old ones I used no longer work due to the change from views to cameras. Thanks!
While views and cameras are different, most of the difference comes in set up and they shouldn't matter to tutorials in GMS 1. Alternatively, you could search the marketplace. Here's one free one (although I haven't used it, it seems like it would be the type of thing you're looking for).

https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/4772/fast-lights

@samspade thanks for pointing me towards that lighting asset. Imported the sprites, scripts, and shader into my GMS2 project. But it didn't import any sort of objects or anything so I have no real clue how to use any of this stuff :( Saw that the Fast Lights are supposed to come with an example project, but I can't get GMS1.4 or GMS2 to see the downloaded file, so I can't seem to import the project

Have you used this asset and know how to use it? And any ideas on how to import the example project?