Any GM Console Developers here?

K

Kobold

edit (reason: previous post was a bit overkill in character count, haha):
Is there actually someone that successfully compiled for PS4 and XBox chipset?
I can't even get the YYC to work on an empty project even though I have all the MSVC Build Tools... let alone run anything on it with an GML written extension plugged in... which kinda makes me wonder if at this stage it GMS2 will work with the system specific SDK's?

I just want to get in touch with someone that already went through this to see what their system specs, library and build tool versions are looking like... and which runtime allowed for a error-free outcome.

Last edited:

rIKmAN

edit (reason: previous post was a bit overkill in character count, haha):
Is there actually someone that successfully compiled for PS4 and XBox chipset?
I can't even get the YYC to work on an empty project even though I have all the MSVC Build Tools... let alone run anything on it with an GML written extension plugged in... which kinda makes me wonder if at this stage it GMS2 will work with the system specific SDK's?

I just want to get in touch with someone that already went through this to see what their system specs, library and build tool versions are looking like... and which runtime allowed for a error-free outcome.

Pretty sure the console exports give you access to special forums just for console development.

You'd be better off asking there as I think one of the terms is that you can't discuss them on the open forums due to NDA's etc.

K

Kobold

Pretty sure the console exports give you access to special forums just for console development.

You'd be better off asking there as I think one of the terms is that you can't discuss them on the open forums due to NDA's etc.
You mean, pay the license first and find out after?
I would like to chat with someone that has gone through this:
- That has applied and gotten the right to purchase a DevKit or Testing Hardware
- That has successfully been able to connect GMS2 with a console SDK and actually gotten it to work other than Yoyo themselves as they are the only ones that can debug the interpretation which GMS2 spits out... where I only get a GMAssets Compiler Error Message that tells me: "Unable to find specified file."
- Someone that has tested the compiled bunch on their actual DevKit :)
- And then I would like to see the exact runtime versions and SDK file versions used to afterwards isolate my DevSystem from any update that can potentially create another hole in the boat's hull, haha.

...naturally.

Edit: And there is no Games made in GMS2 which are available on Xbox or PS4, made by an independent GMS4 console export license holder, as reference.... source: Google. haha

Last edited:

rIKmAN

@Kobold If you haven't bought the XB1/PS4 exports yet I'm not sure how/why you are talking about an error you are getting with it?

I'm not sure how to best go about finding out what you are asking, I'm just telling you what is written in the help desk articles for XB1/PS4 regarding not talking about them on the public forum and use the private forums due to licence agreements:
.....if you have an active Xbox One licence on your account, we will give you access to the export inside GMS2, the ability to see the console articles/forums here on the knowledge base, and access to our support forum to report general GameMaker issues/bugs and seek advice. Please note that you must not report Xbox One-specific comments/bugs in any public forum, as per your agreement with the console platform holder.
....if you have an active PS4 licence on your account, we will give you access to the export inside GMS2, the ability to see the console articles/forums here on the knowledge base, and access to our support forum to report general GameMaker issues/bugs and seek advice. Please note that you must not report PS4-specific comments/bugs in any public forum, as per your agreement with the console platform holder.
Maybe someone might contact you in private, but I doubt you will get much public response from a post on here due to what I quoted above. I know you said you don't want to but maybe drop support an email and see what they say?

Source for the quotes above: https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000414352

K

Kobold

If you haven't bought the XB1/PS4 exports yet I'm not sure how/why you are talking about an error you are getting with it?...
... haha, no no... my bad, I made that read that way (not on purpose by any means). That was really just as reference as to what the IDE users gets to see when something doesn't compile.

Anyway... I see now .

So there is no other way than registering, buying the DevKit, buying the license and then see wether the two work together.

rIKmAN

... haha, no no... my bad, I made that read that way (not on purpose by any means). That was really just as reference as to what the IDE users gets to see when something doesn't compile.

Anyway... I see now .

So there is no other way than registering, buying the DevKit, buying the license and then see wether the two work together.
In terms of the exports, I can only say contact support or maybe someone will reply here or message you privately who can give some guidance, but support are really the only official answer you will get.

You need to be accepted into the ID@Xbox program to use the exports, at which point you will get 2 free dev kits, so I'm not sure why you are mentioning buying one? If you aren't accepted onto the program and registered you cannot get access to the modules anyway.

It sounds like maybe you need to do a little more research on things before you look at dropping the money for the console exports, it's not an insignificant amount so make sure to be 100% that you have everything in place before you attempt to purchase the modules,

If you want a cheaper way to get onto XB1 you could look at UWP for example, which has some restrictions on Xbox Live functionality but allows you to use a normal retail XB1 as a dev machine,

Last edited:
K

Kobold

yes, haha... My fine-print senses aren't working very well, it seems.

I like your idea... so technically I could go and buy UWP and test it until it is presentable for an application to the big Chiefs? :)
But then again... is it going to work... can someone confirm, someone that actually compiled... is there a demo to look at.
I am a real pain, am I not? haha

rIKmAN

yes, haha... My fine-print senses aren't working very well, it seems.

I like your idea... so technically I could go and buy UWP and test it until it is presentable for an application to the big Chiefs? :)
But then again... is it going to work... can someone confirm, someone that actually compiled... is there a demo to look at.
I am a real pain, am I not? haha
If you have an XB1 then yeah you can use that with the UWP module to test on your console. You will need to sign up for a Microsoft Dev account and download an app from the store so you can switch your console into "dev mode", all these instructions are in the UWP setup article in the helpdesk.

Bare in mind the differences between getting into XB1 via The Xbox Live Creators Program (UWP) when compared to the proper ID@Xbox program: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/developers/creators-program/

Alternatively develop using the desktop target with an XB1 pad which will allow you to get the gameplay and mechanics working, then apply with a working game and if accepted add in the Xbox specific stuff (Live integration, achievements, testing on actual hardware etc) or go the UWP route where you can't use those things anyway.

Als check the forum posts and mantis for any outstanding bugs and issues that you might come across so there are no surprises.

Ultimately it's upto you, but yeah make sure you start reading the fine print, especially on instructions and setup articles or you will end up in a world of pain.

K

Kobold

Thank you.

The set-up instructions say that the game will be compiled into an executable which then ends up in the Microsoft online store thing. Is the compiled data able to be turned into an actual Disc Image, if one ever gets the chance to purchase a DevKit at some point (let's assume this is something realistic, haha), I wonder?

Anyway. I will have a look around and see what rolls the smoothest, haha.

rIKmAN

Thank you.

The set-up instructions say that the game will be compiled into an executable which then ends up in the Microsoft online store thing. Is the compiled data able to be turned into an actual Disc Image, if one ever gets the chance to purchase a DevKit at some point (let's assume this is something realistic, haha), I wonder?

Anyway. I will have a look around and see what rolls the smoothest, haha.
Assuming you are talking about UWP, you go onto the UWP store, not a retail Xbox pressed disk or the official Xbox Store - that requires acceptance onto ID@Xbox and the official $799 GM2 modules.

As I said previously, you don't purchase a devkit, you get accepted into the program and get 2 free devkits (ID@Xbox) or use your retail XB1 in dev mode (UWP).

You are trying to walk before you can run, do your research as there is loads of information on the 2 programs and the processes involved. The fact you are still calling it "the online store thing" suggest you haven't done any of this or understand what is involved.

You don't compile a game and burn it to a disk to pop into your console.

Work on making a good game that would be of the quality that people want to play it first and foremost, worry about console later if you get that far - not many do.

K

Kobold

You are absolutely correct, it's the research.
I think I am going to continue researching wether someone has gotten that far and actually got it done using GMS2 ;)

Edit: ...That's crazy I didn't know that they give out the DevKits...
Cool, man , you have been nothing but helpful. :)

Edit2: ... and oops! Yes, I must admit that I didn't catch everything, I am guilty of skipping lines sometimes. I don't mean any disrespect, I am just a very impatient reader while doing other stuff.... haha. Sorry about that.

Last edited: