Any collision tutorials or help with collisions?

U

Uhfgood

I've been looking at a number of tutorials trying to find one that would help me out. The "Coding Breakout" tutorial has a problem where you can get the paddle to intersect the ball when hitting it from the side. A few people have told me it's probably poor coding or a bad tutorial or something.

Tried a few different things, haven't figured it out.

Here's the thing: I'm a programmer by trade. Which means I know my way around coding and scripting. I *could* write my own collision system, but the whole reason I bought game maker studio was so I could use it's built in facilities and thus not have to reinvent the wheel.

Generally coding my own collision system also involves me coding in my own movement system. (I take things into account such as sweep, current vs. next position, and I tend to separate axes.) This is obviously not ideal as the things I was using before looking at GM can be used if I'm going to write it all myself anyway.

So question here is, can anyone point me to any collision detection/resolution tutorials for game maker studio. That shows me how to best use the built in collision system? Thanks for your time.

G

GRArthas

i have collision for platformer and top down which do you prefer ?

U

Uhfgood

I'm going to hopefully work on a break out, so I suppose top down would be preferred