• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Any chance to get source code games Humble Bundle

I

InsertCoolName

Hello!

I am seriously thinking about trying out GMS, especially after I saw that source code for some very awesome games was provided at a Humble Bundle event in the past years. Unfortunately, I wasn't familiar with Humble Bundle at the time and I obviously missed my shot at getting my hands on the source codes.

Would YoYo Games consider putting the source codes on the Marketplace? (pretty, pretty please)I wouldn't mind paying for them (if the proceeds would go to charity it would be even better, in spirit of the Humble Bundle). Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't find any threads, and most topics that I find on Google say that you can't get them any other way. I would be very sad if that was the case, because I really didn't know about the opportunity and I know it seems childish, but I guess it's not fair :)

My favorite way of learning is to look at how others have done something and try to understand it on my own. Video tutorials aren't the best way to learn for me, so this way would really provide a huge boost to my learning!

Thank you in advance!

I

InsertCoolName

Hey, thanks for the reply! You see, I never thought of that :(

I

InsertCoolName

Hey, thank you very much @appleWolf! I would appreciate it very much!

It's no rush, take your time!

EDIT: I don't mind if it's rough code, I won't judge, promise!

I

InsertCoolName

Thank you for the link!! I didn't know that about the Spelunky code, how awesome of Derek Yu!!!!

EDIT: is it okay to buy the source code if someone were to sell it to me?

Last edited by a moderator:
I

InsertCoolName

Hey! Yes, I agree with you but in this case the code was part of a sale. I don't know, I think it would be piracy, though :(
Though helping other members should definitely be encouraged!

I don't know what to say, I'm of sad that I missed that awesome sale, those source codes would definitely help anybody jumpstart their code!

hogwater

Speaking from personal experience, if you are a novice coder, full source code from a finished GM game may not help all that much early on. I downloaded the Spelunky source a while ago and looked at it, was like lol what does any of this do? and moved on.

I'm sure at some point it will be helpful though!

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
I don't know what to say, I'm of sad that I missed that awesome sale, those source codes would definitely help anybody jumpstart their code!
If you don't want to miss out on another sale, subscribe to YoYo's newsletter. It's in the footer of yoyogames.com.

Also, anybody who thinks looking at large projects alone is a good way to jump-start coding is being naive. I have bought 2 of those bundles before, and I know what the source code in them are like. Unless you know the syntax of GML and common organization patterns in general computer science, there's next to nothing that an unskilled hand can glean from them and meaningfully reuse in a different project. The code is often so project-specific that the only thing a complete rookie can do with it is replacing graphics, sounds, levels and in-game text. That's not learning to make games, that's just copying.

Let's try to put your "I learn best from big examples" belief to the test. Here's a small Connect-4 game that I wrote some time ago: Link

If you can learn from this example without anyone else telling you the main points, then perhaps you're right. But if you can't learn from little examples on your own, what makes you think you'd do any better with much larger examples, with hundreds or thousands times more material to wade through?

I

InsertCoolName

Hey @FrostyCat , while I do appreciate your source code, I can't say that I appreciate your I'm-gonna-put-this-fool-in-his-place attitude. You are making some assumptions about me and my skills that you simply cannot know about, because you do not know me. How do you know that I don't know the "syntax of GML" or especially "common organization patterns in general computer sciences?"

Also, since they put the source codes I guess they put them there for educational purposes, not for asset flipping, right? That's why they put example projects and stuff like github exist, to help you see code differently, help others. You know that sharing source codes is something that is not so absurd, right? I mean, even you just did it.

I think it's naive to think that you know total strangers from 4 posts on a forum, especially their preffered learning methods. People learn through different ways, because people are different. Would looking at source codes be the best way of learning? Maybe for some it is, maybe for some it isn't but it's definitely a cool learning experience.

It wouldn't be copy pasting, it would be exactly why they were put there in the first place, as a learning experience. Do you also hate tutorials in general? Maybe we should all make our own game engines to really learn coding.

Of course, if you start with the attitude that I'm someone who needs to be taught a thing or two, all my arguments go out the window. I didn't say that it would be the only way of learning and you saw that just because you wanted to put me in my place. It's like @hogwater said, at some point it will be helpful.

I think it's unhealthy to have your attitude, because you assume an awful lot of things about someone, and so you start on a very shaky foundation...

So yeah, thanks for putting me in the asset flipper category and not in the I want to learn new things category.

Sorry for the rant, it's just that I don't think that your attitude is the best to have when someone is asking a question.

sylvain_l

@InsertCoolName
there are multiple source code engine/game available around without having to rely on the HB bundle one's which were paying source code for learning. not free or open source, so no way you can legally access those until the next bundle thign which will happen at an unkown date (except if their dev pass by that thread and kindly offer to give/sell you access to it - or just be pro-active and contact the dev yourself).

if all you want is code source to learn from:
someone already give you link for spelunky,
but there is also Relic Hunter Zero ( https://github.com/mventurelli/relichunterszero )
there is a mario engine on github too ( https://hellofangaming.github.io/HelloMarioEngine/ )
some of the youtube channels offer the final code source of their make XXX in GMS1/2
as you know the marketplace, well there are some prototype/engine (and usable not only for learning, most also to build even a commercial thing with them)
@Yal as some engine things also for sell on itch.io ( https://yaru.itch.io/ )