Any Advice on How to Handle Multiple Collisions

K

Kululu17

Hi - am working on a navigation/AI system, that I am trying to keep as simple and resource light as possible. I'm not looking for any kind of advanced pathfinding or the like, just the ability to keep various mobs from sticking to each other. I have a system that will allow them to pursue or flee from the player or each other, based on setting direction goals based on line of sight, and directions (so a fleeing entity would try to pick a destination as far away from the pursuer as possible, as long as there are no obstructions). It all works ok as long as they are all just wandering, or it is just one pursuer and one fleeing. The problem is that if the these two entities start bumping into other mobs, the system breaks down, and they tend to get stuck to each other.

I'd like to come up with some kind of simple rule-based system to allow them to navigate through other mobs. All the references I've seen seem to deal with mobs all having the same goal - like all the mobs are trying to attack the player.

Any thought starters on how to deal with the situation of:

Entity A is chasing Entity B

Entity C, D, E are just wandering around and don't care about A and B except trying to avoid bumping into them.

Again, the goal is not for the chasing or fleeing entities to calculate the perfectly optimal path, just a reasonable one.