• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Antivirus software always detect virus and delete .exe

C

carbona

Hello. This is a long term problem i have with all versions of game maker and i can't find any solutions of how to solve this. For now i using last updated by stable channel version of game maker studio (free license)

Every time i create an executable, standalone or packed by zip, or if i make an instalation package of my project, my antivirus will say that this is a virus and will delete .exe.
I tried it on different mainstream av (norton, kaspersky and avira) and the situation is always the same.

So next what is real problem, the same behaviour presented on PC of all my friends who tried to test this.

I constantly tried to look for any way to solve this, but everytime i found something related to this issue, people just saying: relax, this is false positive reaction of AV.

But how can i relax, if no one can run my executable and any av will delete it?? And i just created simple project with room and a few sprites. So are there really a way to stop AV for deleting my executables?

And then what i dont understand yet, is how do developers that post their projects made with GM on steam avoid this problem? Can anyone explain?

Simply question is: what should i do to stop any AV for any PC to detect my .exe compiled by GM as virus software?

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Caloxeno

Well, this didn´t happen to me, but I think I got an idea.

What if you deactivate or unistall your antivirus?

Maybe that would work...

Good luck on this.

C

carbona

Did you read any of words on my post? This problem happens on any other user PC. That means literally: a lot of users have AV. A lot of users will not be able to run anything.
So your solution will not work. I cant ask all other people who use AV to delete it.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
This happens occasionally, but it's not common. GMC members distribute hundreds of GameMaker games here, on Steam, and on other websites, without problems.

Are you sure your game is virus free? Are you using extensions, like DLLs?

C

carbona

As i wrote before: " i just created simple project with room and a few sprites".
And i tried it on two platform: desktop and my notebook, which haven't been connected by any way. I also had this problem before, when studio wasn't free, on other desktop, which was fully protected by firewall and AV from begining. And i dont install any suspicious software. Im sure i had virus free system before.
Also, i asked one of my friend to do the same - he compilled his exe and result was the same as before for me.

Can it be by any chance related to system locale, or already installed software? Maybe you know, what software GM using for packing its resources to .exe?
Any clue where should i look for solution :(

AV says its "TR/Dropper.Gen " which is trojan if i understand correct. But my av can't find this trojan on any other .exe complied by me in eclipse or visual studio. So if i understand correctly, it happens only with GM-compiled executables?

C

carbona

Avira AntiVir?
You can submit your Executable to them, so they can deactivate the false positive.
do you undertand that you suggest me to send every build of my project, so they will deactivate it every time i press button "Create executable"? And not only for Avira, but for every AV vendor, i guess.
I think that is not the salvation.

R

rui.rosario

Isn't it possible that you DO have a virus on your system that is infecting every one of your created executables? Have you tried submitting your executable to online virus detection websites like VirusTotal?

EDIT: A brand new project with a blank room on this website had these results. Which means that a blank project on my machine has 3.5% of virus detection ratio, which I think can be acceptable as false positives.

R

rui.rosario

Also, since you are adding images to the project (and from my quick read it seems it is the only thing you're using), have you tried analyzing those images for virus?

A

Ariak

Hey there, i've had the same problem in the past - and it really was a virus/malware.
I had to set up my pc from scratch again, but was able to recover my projects.

If your project is sub 5MB try uploading and downloading it from the google cloud. They have a great free virus check for smaller files. If it pings a warning I really wouln't open it.

If your absolutely 100% positive that its a false-positive try exporting as .zip exe.

KurtBlissZ

I know sometimes for downloaded content to right click the file > properties > then unchecked block.

For anti virus software I just use windows defender on windows 10, never had this problem, I just may get a warning sometimes from windows if I didn't unblock a program, where I have to click more then click run anyways or something like that.

Its annoying defender isn't on your system tray by default, I always have to run defender at start up with the -hide parameter so it pops up in the system tray, a little off topic by anyways.

C

carbona

Isn't it possible that you DO have a virus on your system that is infecting every one of your created executables? Have you tried submitting your executable to online virus detection websites like VirusTotal?

EDIT: A brand new project with a blank room on this website had these results. Which means that a blank project on my machine has 3.5% of virus detection ratio, which I think can be acceptable as false positives.
No, its not possible, cause i write before: i tried it on computer that was protected by av and firewall from begining. I aslo should add that it doesnt have any pirate software and i dont download suspicious files. Please,read my first post about the situation.
Second, i sent my compiled exe to virus total, and you know what? it says that their "avira" and "symantec" haven't recognized my file as a virus, though by the same time, my local avira and symantec (on different pc) do recognize it as a trojan. The same goes for a friend who tried it on his PC (av found a virus). So i really can't trust virus total, cause its own av's behaviour is different from local antiviruses installed on my desktop or notebook.

And i want to ask this questuin again for ten times, so what should i do if its false-positive? Do you understand that i can't write every user that have the same false-positive result that my exe is actually a false-positive, and they should ignore?
Or should i send to tech support of every av vendor every of mine exe built by gm?

Also, since you are adding images to the project (and from my quick read it seems it is the only thing you're using), have you tried analyzing those images for virus?
Nope, its doesnt have anything. Its just an png image created by ms paint which doesnt recognize as virus, trojan or anything.

If your absolutely 100% positive that its a false-positive try exporting as .zip exe.
That way doesnt help, cause when i (or somebody) extract my zip, then av analyze it and delete.
Also Gamemaker Studio based on Programm Language Delphi, in the past some virus targed directly Delphi Apps and implemented it's source code: http://www.computerweekly.com/news/1280090505/Delphi-spreads-virus-in-source-code
I donwloaded last build of GM:S on new PC that didnt even ever used delphi software, the link you posted is 2009 year, now its 2016...

I know sometimes for downloaded content to right click the file > properties > then unchecked block.

For anti virus software I just use windows defender on windows 10, never had this problem, I just may get a warning sometimes from windows if I didn't unblock a program, where I have to click more then click run anyways or something like that.

Its annoying defender isn't on your system tray by default, I always have to run defender at start up with the -hide parameter so it pops up in the system tray, a little off topic by anyways.
You don't have this problem with windows defender, but anyone who use symantec or avira do have this problem...

KurtBlissZ

You probably could make an download directory then make it an exception in your anti virus software, then download anything game maker related that directory. I understand that's not what your looking for at least it's a work around.

If your able to, I don't understand why you wouldn't just use Microsoft virus protection. But I always went for for free and simple virus protection software. I'm a little bias.

T

Toppu

As i wrote before: " i just created simple project with room and a few sprites".
Perhaps you can you upload that sample exe file compiled on your pc so that other people from here can try to run it on their systems? Maybe that will help to understand what is going on.

C

Chim

I donwloaded last build of GM:S on new PC that didnt even ever used delphi software, the link you posted is 2009 year, now its 2016...
talks about nobody reads his post correctly, doesn't read the answers right....

i said GameMake based ON DELPHI Language, so it could be possible to get infected by this special type of virus.
Also the Year said nothing about the life time of a virus...

so it seems to be a false alert, send your exe file to those antivir companys

Roalinn

talks about nobody reads his post correctly, doesn't read the answers right....

i said GameMake based ON DELPHI Language, so it could be possible to get infected by this special type of virus.
Also the Year said nothing about the life time of a virus...

so it seems to be a false alert, send your exe file to those antivir companys
I have a same problem. did you solve this problem in 3 years ?