1. Hey! Guest! The 36th GMC Jam will take place between February 27th, 12:00 UTC - March 2nd, 12:00 UTC. Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

Anti-scam(or less risky) approach

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by Leandro Saccoletto, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Leandro Saccoletto

Leandro Saccoletto Member

Hi guys,
    This year wasn't been nice to me.
    I was scammed by one , another one have paypal problem and trying using Western Union, another one that doesn't return (after I ask a doc with his ideas). All are new clients that joined at yoyoforums in this year.

After 7 years as freelancer, is look like that I need improve my payment methods:
    ---> Normaly I charge after 10 hours of work. But would be different in the first payment with a new client ? Like some advanced hours paid or something similar ?
    ---> Instead asking for doc for the client's ideas, should I do my own doc , keeping asking/guessing what he desires (an it being considered part of the paid job) ? Because some clients appears to be exclusive in "money part" and any game design work can scare off them.

And you guys ? Which payment approach do you use ? Or which bad histories did you overcome in the business ?

2. Toque

Toque Member

Sorry to hear you had problems. I don’t sell any services. But I have no problem pre paying someone for their time. A clear document and detailed letter of understanding I would expect to provide for even a small project.

3. Annoyed Grunt

Annoyed Grunt Member

You should absolutely produce an estimate of how much time/money it is going to take you to complete your given project/tasks and you should take a cut of that estimate before you even begin working. If a client is reluctant to pay your advance how can you trust them to pay you at all?

Toque likes this.