• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Anti-scam(or less risky) approach

Hi guys,
This year wasn't been nice to me.
I was scammed by one , another one have paypal problem and trying using Western Union, another one that doesn't return (after I ask a doc with his ideas). All are new clients that joined at yoyoforums in this year.

After 7 years as freelancer, is look like that I need improve my payment methods:
---> Normaly I charge after 10 hours of work. But would be different in the first payment with a new client ? Like some advanced hours paid or something similar ?
---> Instead asking for doc for the client's ideas, should I do my own doc , keeping asking/guessing what he desires (an it being considered part of the paid job) ? Because some clients appears to be exclusive in "money part" and any game design work can scare off them.

And you guys ? Which payment approach do you use ? Or which bad histories did you overcome in the business ?

Toque

Sorry to hear you had problems. I don’t sell any services. But I have no problem pre paying someone for their time. A clear document and detailed letter of understanding I would expect to provide for even a small project.

A

Annoyed Grunt

You should absolutely produce an estimate of how much time/money it is going to take you to complete your given project/tasks and you should take a cut of that estimate before you even begin working. If a client is reluctant to pay your advance how can you trust them to pay you at all?