OFFICIAL Announcing The Opera GX Game Jam

woodsmoke

How long will the HTML5 Module be free to use for the jam? ("for the duration of the game jam")

Until submission to the jam ends?
Until the final 4 games are picked?
Until a winner is announced?

Waterlance

What is the deal with the graphic assets, are premade assets allowed if we have the license for them / or own them, as is the case with audio? Or game + graphic assets must be unique?

woodsmoke

What is the deal with the graphic assets, are premade assets allowed if we have the license for them / or own them, as is the case with audio? Or game + graphic assets must be unique?
Sounds to me like only audio is allowed to be pre-made:

The game and all of its visual aspects should be made during the jam development period.

You can use pre-made music and sound assets (as long as you have permission or a license).

gdkid

About the HTML5 license, is there anything I should do to activate it?

Because I just checked the Studio, my target manager contains only PC and Android export, but it doesn't have HTML5 (although I checked my license portal on Yoyo website, there's a license for HTML5)

Should I reinstall the program to activate it?

samspade

If I submit my game right now in the game jam, can I continue working on it up until the deadline or is the version that exists when I hit submit game the final version?

I'm sure this is on GameJolt's site somewhere but I couldn't find it.

About the HTML5 license, is there anything I should do to activate it?

Because I just checked the Studio, my target manager contains only PC and Android export, but it doesn't have HTML5 (although I checked my license portal on Yoyo website, there's a license for HTML5)

Should I reinstall the program to activate it?
I ran into this as well. I basically just had to sign out of my session within GMS "File > Log Out". Then sign back in, just close and re-open GMS, and it will ask for your credentials again. Then check for the HTML5 option after.

How long will the HTML5 Module be free to use for the jam? ("for the duration of the game jam")

Until submission to the jam ends?
Until the final 4 games are picked?
Until a winner is announced?
Under the Products / Licenses of my YoYo Games profile, it says
TEMP - Opera GX Game Jammore infoN/A16 Aug 2021OWNED

So, it looks like until the 16th, the temp license for HTML5 export lasts.

If I submit my game right now in the game jam, can I continue working on it up until the deadline or is the version that exists when I hit submit game the final version?

I'm sure this is on GameJolt's site somewhere but I couldn't find it.
From the projects I have seen on there it seems like some folks are updating their entries over time. But, it might be that they upload to their account / profile, then submit it to the contest with a certain build? I'm getting ready to submit mine within the next hour. Just took a bunch of screenshots, and play tested a bunch in my web browser, trying to find any remaining bugs.

I guess I'll find out soon. But, if I decide to tweak a few things, it might be nice to update it. I can keep you posted through DM/PM, if nobody answers it completely. I'm uploading as soon as I can, because I've lost my internet connection a couple times over the last few days. Rather not risk not uploading now, and have my internet drop on me : /

EDIT:
From what I'm seeing when I click "Submit an Entry". It looks like the game must be uploaded to your profile, and "make sure it is published".

After that you can submit it to the contest. So it seems you can keep on updating the project under your profile, before "publishing". But, from what I'm seeing there is only one time option to submit it to the competition.

Unless there is some way to remove it, and re-add it. I'm not sure... This is my first time setting anything up on Game Jolt.

EDIT 2:
@samspade - I've just got my game submitted to the game jam. It looks like you can actually remove the submission, and then re-add it, if you needed to.

Last edited:

mar_cuz

Trying to log onto gamejolt to upload my game but game jolt has not sent the verification email yet this is getting too close for comfort

Is this how the game is? Some weird graphical glitches were happening.
Not surprising, HTML5 is barely useable.

On that note, I juuuust scraped in on time...Bizarre bugs abound, I didn't quite get everything I wanted in and I'm sure it will crash for more than a few people, but it's done. And it works fine on Windows (lol)! If anyone wants to check it out: Wifinite Space

Last edited:

Micah_DS

Well, unfortunately, I underestimated the ease of uploading a game to gamejolt. I had 10 minutes of fumbling about, trying to get it on there, but I didn't make it in time, and I'm still not even sure why my game isn't able to be published. I'm pretty sad.

var

Well, unfortunately, I underestimated the ease of uploading a game to gamejolt. I had 10 minutes of fumbling about, trying to get it on there, but I didn't make it in time, and I'm still not even sure why my game isn't able to be published. I'm pretty sad.
Same issue. It took me 15 minutes to figure out that "publishing a release" is not the same as "publishing a game". I read the thing that said "make sure your game is published", but I thought that publishing a release would do it, and I didn't even manage to find out that there is a separate "publish game" button until it was too late.

Appsurd

Not surprising, HTML5 is barely useable.

On that note, I juuuust scraped in on time...Bizarre bugs abound, I didn't quite get everything I wanted in and I'm sure it will crash for more than a few people, but it's done. And it works fine on Windows! If anyone wants to check it out: Wifinite Space
Yes, I've got the same issue. My HTML5 game sometimes shows 1px lines and (only on Game Jolt) also sometimes fails to respond AT ALL to any input (keyboard/mouse). I'm curious to know whether other people also have this issue?

Fortunately I was just in time to hand in our submission UFO Enlightment.
screenshot.png

The competition is fierce with exactly 888 participants. Oh well, it has been a nice experience. Good luck all & have fun playing/judging these games!

Last edited:

makas

I have the typical question just after submit my entry can I add small edits to my game? I had small bug that I want to fix, but I dont know if this is allowed... in the last gamejam they allowed to do it, what about this one?

Micah_DS

@Micah_DS @CrunchCaptain and others who didn't submit on time:

In the fireside chat, the official Game Jolt account said roughly "Email us at [email protected] if your game was not submitted on time, we will check the timestamp and may manually add entries if they follow all the other rules."
Thanks! I emailed them.

If my entry does get allowed in, I don't expect to win anything, since I was unable to put a couple key things in (i.e. the music and sfx are made but were not implemented, and I had two other enemy types planned), but I did put a lot of work into it, so it's a huge let down to miss the window.

mar_cuz

I have the typical question just after submit my entry can I add small edits to my game? I had small bug that I want to fix, but I dont know if this is allowed... in the last gamejam they allowed to do it, what about this one?
I would also like to know this. Got a bug to fix as well but certainly don't want to break the rules

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Is this how the game is? Some weird graphical glitches were happening.
ARRRGH. DAMMIT. That's what happens when you upload a game after 24hours with no sleep or food... :( I made the ONE MISTAKE that I tell everyone to do for HTML5. I forgot to clear the cache before uploading. :duck: I have re-uploaded the game with a cleared cache and it appears to be working fine now. I hope YYG don't mind, and I've left the broken version up too. If anyone played, PLEASE test it again and let me know if it's okay now! It seems to be, but I have no faith in my own eyes at this point so some external verification would be great!!!!

Micah_DS

After emailing gamejolt support, they looked into it and added my game WI-FIGHT! Awesome support there. I'm really thankful! :)

Now that my game is in, can anyone confirm if it's okay to upload a post-jam version as a new package?

I expect it should be fine, as long as I make it an obvious post-jam version by labeling it "Post-Jam Version", and as long as I don't change my original package. I just want to be sure I don't mess something up or break any rules. I'm also being extra cautious since I'm new to gamejolt and still don't know my way around.

Appsurd

By the way, YoYo is going to pick a TOP-4 and then we have public voting?
Given that only games at place 1, 2 and 3 will get a price, this seems to me a bit mean? Because it would mean that exactly 1 game would get nothing. Better change that number 4 to either 3 or something larger than 4...

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Given that only games at place 1, 2 and 3 will get a price, this seems to me a bit mean? Because it would mean that exactly 1 game would get nothing. Better change that number 4 to either 3 or something larger than 4...
This 100%! If my game was that 4th game after the vote I would be INCREDIBLY angry, annoyed, disappointed, and sad... Not to mention frustrated! I honestly think that having that fourth place with no prize is kinda humiliating for whoever gets it and would really recommend that it's changed to a top 10 for public vote or a top 3... Top 4 seems just cruel! It'd be real kick in the :squirrel: for any dev that came fourth...

Last edited:

samspade

I don't agree at all. Fourth means you came fourth out of 900. Many jams don't have any prizes at all except where you rank. But if every one is really sad about it then I volunteer. Just pick me as fourth :)

mar_cuz

I don't agree at all. Fourth means you came fourth out of 900. Many jams don't have any prizes at all except where you rank. But if every one is really sad about it then I volunteer. Just pick me as fourth :)
I agree. Fourth would be an achievement in itself and you know, that's life there will be set backs you just have to keep on going 🙂

Here's my title. Its SuperHexagon meets JustShapesAndBeats.
One thing I regret is how much time I wasted searching for a useful soundtrack. This 5mb limit was really wrecking me. And then after everything is said and done I forgot to compress the music for the game XD
oh and god damn, please fix audio_sound_set_track_position for html. I didn't have time to investigate during the jam but it seems like it's bugged. It really bummed me out that I found this perfectly looping track with different entry points so it doesn't repeat on retry but oh well, whatever ^^'

Last edited:

Pro_bono

This 100%! If my game was that 4th game after the vote I would be INCREDIBLY angry, annoyed, disappointed, and sad... Not to mention frustrated! I honestly think that having that fourth place with no prize is kinda humiliating for whoever gets it and would really recommend that it's changed to a top 10 for public vote or a top 3... Top 4 seems just cruel! It'd be real kick in the :squirrel: for any dev that came fourth...
I was saying this to someone today, 4th place would be a rollercoaster! You'd get announced as the top 4, you're within a hair's breadth of a prize, get your hopes up and then wait another agonising week to then get nothing :D

At least give them a year subscription or something :)

makas

Hello we present to you our game jam entry! hope some of you would find our game fun to play, and specially we want you to know our good boys, Taquito and Habanero, they are a powerfull tool in the game, cheers! you have to collect the missing bits of the connections stole by the viruses, troyans, backdoors, worms, etc... in two different worlds, the world of the 0's and the world of the 1's

https://gamejolt.com/games/woofi/639181

Last edited:

Chaser

Do you think they will consider buggy, unfinished games? I know mine is, but I wonder if they are going to consider ‘potential’ games. Or they must be complete, finished no error games.

drandula

I spent most of the jam for doing verlet integration in shader, which I mostly did, but didn't get to implement it in game.
Now after jam I finished collisions:
In video there are 1024x1024 particles moving and colliding with walls.

Edit.
Made rope physics to work with shaders

And here is simulating cloth with shaders:

Here is showing lot of ropes with

Last edited:

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
We're getting close to the public voting on the finalists of the Opera GX Game Jam. For now. Looks like there is a list of 100 favorites from the judges https://gamejolt.com/p/hey-jammers-we-are-getting-close-to-our-finalist-voting-however-nches7g4

I'll say now (cause Game Jolt is a bit fired up) please remember that we had over 900 games and had a small team of judges to review them. I think the quality overall was incredible and even in all 900 I struggled to find 'bad' games. Everyone should be proud of this one!

Chaser

dam, how close, i was hoping to get my top 20 in before you lot, lol :) 909 games, one man, yeah it was always going to be a challenge. interesting list. You've got a tough job. ;)

makas

We're getting close to the public voting on the finalists of the Opera GX Game Jam. For now. Looks like there is a list of 100 favorites from the judges https://gamejolt.com/p/hey-jammers-we-are-getting-close-to-our-finalist-voting-however-nches7g4

I'll say now (cause Game Jolt is a bit fired up) please remember that we had over 900 games and had a small team of judges to review them. I think the quality overall was incredible and even in all 900 I struggled to find 'bad' games. Everyone should be proud of this one!
People are going to be angry about your top 100, specially considering that some of the entrys dont follow the requiriments for the jam, would have been a lot better to just give the top 4 and let the rest of the developers believe that they could have been close to the top 4... now you have 800+ that are dissapointed to not even making it to the top 100... and you have some of those 100 developers getting their games attacked because they got selected in this group without even meeting the jam's rules...