OFFICIAL Announcing The Opera GX Game Jam

gnysek

Employees, officers, and directors of Sponsor, the Promotional Partners, their parent, subsidiary, affiliated or related companies, and all other entities associated with the creation, administration, promotion, or fulfillment of the Contest, and each of their respective parent, subsidiary, affiliated and related companies (collectively, the ā€œContest Entitiesā€), and each of their immediate family members and persons residing in the same household of such family members are not eligible to enter or win the Contest.
I understand that ex-employee or local communities members aren't excluded from jam then?

It's a shame that you can't use the mouse because it has to be 2player possible!

I'm already super pumped for an idea I have - hope it fits the theme XD

Pro_bono

No I would very much doubt that YYG or Opera will provide such guidelines. I'd just go with what feels good to you, although careful making a very high-res game as the size limitation of 5mb kinda puts the stopper on any high-res GFX.
Thanks, I'm a big fan of classic games and pixel art so it won't be a problem keeping the res down :)

Where is the best place to show off development on the game?

I am unfamiliar with GameJolt and don't recall anyone specifically asking for a certain place to put those things. šŸ¤”

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
In terms of sharing progress you are welcome to post any updates here.
You can post on the GameMaker community page on Game Jolt (we'll be looking there!)
You can share updates on Twitter etc. using the #GameMaker hashtag (we're always looking there)
There is also an events channel on the community discord which allows sharing updates of in-progress jams

In terms of sharing progress you are welcome to post any updates here.
You can post on the GameMaker community page on Game Jolt (we'll be looking there!)
You can share updates on Twitter etc. using the #GameMaker hashtag (we're always looking there)
There is also an events channel on the community discord which allows sharing updates of in-progress jams
GameMaker, OperaGX or GameJolt Disc?

WilloX

That all sounds really cool - ill definitely try on getting a game done. Do you think one can get away with kinda platform specific stuff if its possible to include others later on (like a game with mouse control that can be changed to touch later or the other way around)?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
@rmanthorp : I don't see anywhere that says what time the theme is going to be announced? Will that be 00:00 on the 29th? Like, tonight at midnight? And I'm assuming it'll be announced on GameJolt?

Haha, I'm off to a very good start: I'm playing around with the HTML5 export module and the very first test room with only an object and sprite already fails to run XD

Posh Indie

That Guy
Frosty has entirely valid points throughout (as usual), but may I please take this moment to say, "This. This right here killed me."
  • A picture of a fox
  • Purple text above the fox showing "Ring-ding-ding-ding-ring-a-ding-a-ding!"
  • A sound being played when the fox is clicked on
Reading that after reading
If that's all it takes, then I wouldn't have written in the cautionary, straight-faced tone that I did.
really caught me off-guard. It set the tone for the words to follow, and reading those following words in a cautionary, straight-faced tone... haha.

woodsmoke

Pretty specific with the "retrieve lost wifi" bit. Wifi will never be found if it's an endless game! But maybe that's the point. I really like the general UFO (space) theme though.

drandula

I do have few ideas, but can I execute them is another question :D

- - -
Will the winning game be owned by Opera? (i.e. would the maker be able to either sell it as is elsewhere, release its source code, modifying it and sell a different version down the road, etc.) If so, will games that don't win be owned by Opera?
View attachment 41539
Here is from discord server
Actually my picture didn't answer the original question.

How I would interprete grant of rights:
  • Given license concerns only the"Entrant's submission".
  • Source for you submission is given to work on polished version.
  • You only give license to use the submission.
  • Polishing is work done by licensees to the submission.
  • Polished version is under license, as it allows modify etc. by licensees
  • You gave license, but not ownership of your game.
  • Grant of rights doesn't deny you to also work on your game after the submission.
  • License doesn't concern your post-jam version, as it isn't submission for the jam.
So by my interpration, you could make "deluxe" version of game, which doesn't use jam-restrictions and release in the Steam, and given license doesn't concern it.

But of course this is only my interpretation and if I am wrong, I would like to be corrected.
And note, that winner signing the necessary licensing documentation can be more specific about this stuff.

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
Could there be a page dedicated to how to upload the game to Game Jolt and submit it to Jam? I found the site a bit confusing and I have never used it before. Is there already such a page?

@FoxyOfJungle This is how it works for me, I dunno if it's exactly the same for someone without any games made. Create an account firstly (if there's an option for developer account or something, make sure to mark that). Then click on the Game Library button on the left-hand side of the screen (looks like a shelf of books) or press "m". This opens up your game library. Click on "Your games". There should then be a button that you can click called "Add Your Game" somewhere near the centre of your screen. Click on that and do all the stuff you need to do to upload a game and setup the home page for it (it's fairly self-explanatory).

After you've finished making your game (I don't know how the submission process properly works yet so I wouldn't submit until you have your fully completed game ready on the GameJolt site) and set up the game page for it and everything, then go here: https://gamejolt.com/c/gamemaker/ogxgj and click on "Submit An Entry", you'll be given a list of all the games you've made for GameJolt, find your game and press Select.

@FoxyOfJungle This is how it works for me, I dunno if it's exactly the same for someone without any games made. Create an account firstly (if there's an option for developer account or something, make sure to mark that). Then click on the Game Library button on the left-hand side of the screen (looks like a shelf of books) or press "m". This opens up your game library. Click on "Your games". There should then be a button that you can click called "Add Your Game" somewhere near the centre of your screen. Click on that and do all the stuff you need to do to upload a game and setup the home page for it (it's fairly self-explanatory).

After you've finished making your game (I don't know how the submission process properly works yet so I wouldn't submit until you have your fully completed game ready on the GameJolt site) and set up the game page for it and everything, then go here: https://gamejolt.com/c/gamemaker/ogxgj and click on "Submit An Entry", you'll be given a list of all the games you've made for GameJolt, find your game and press Select.
Really helpful, thanks!
I never went on there, and certainly never had an account/activity of any kind there, let's hope all goes smoothly!

Good luck to everyone!

curato

Seems like their theme with the story are counter to having an infinite high score multiplayer game. Not sure how you make fixing the wifi on the space ship a never ending quest with points.

Last edited:
Seems like there theme with the story are counter to having an infinite high score multiplayer game. Not sure how you make fixing the wifi on the space ship a never ending quest with points.
Legend has it your connection will come back if you reach the end of the universe in your ship.

woodsmoke

Hmm I was planning on doing chunky pixel graphics. But I'm starting to lean to making hand drawn art with my scanner. Never done that before although I've often thought about it. I'm afraid I'll run into problems and not get finished. But on the other hand it could be faster to make the art.

drandula

Hmm I was planning on doing chunky pixel graphics. But I'm starting to lean to making hand drawn art with my scanner. Never done that before although I've often thought about it. I'm afraid I'll run into problems and not get finished. But on the other hand it could be faster to make the art.
More likely you run out of 5MB space :p

Chaser

I'm contemplating having a go at this, but, whats the crack with assets? i generally release assets for free after a game, but i figure i'm not going to be able to do this for this jam? can anyone confirm any agreements for submissions? i can't see anything on the jam pages regarding ownerships after submissions. My assumption is if game not chosen you can do as you please but should it be chosen(not likely for me) what happens with the game afterwards?

Lord Undead

Seems like their theme with the story are counter to having an infinite high score multiplayer game. Not sure how you make fixing the wifi on the space ship a never ending quest with points.
I feel the same... unless that ufo has some really bad wifi

GMWolf

aka fel666
Well, Im starting a game for this. (Maybe i need to ask my employer but i think im allowed).
Either way: i dont see any mention of webgl in the rules! (yay i can have a bit of technical fun too)

I already have an idea. Not at all original, but fun, i hope.

mar_cuz

Question about the jam...

Do we have to do a devlog of sorts or can we just upload our games on the final day of the jam?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Question about the jam...

Do we have to do a devlog of sorts or can we just upload our games on the final day of the jam?
Just upload it when ready! Devlogs are rarely required for these kinds of things... :)

Big HTML noobie here. Is there an expected resolution or way to fullscreen/fit to window?

What size do people recommend?
Personally, I would say that it's entirely up to you what you go with, but I'd suggest a 16:9 resolution and wouldn't think fullscreen is a good option considering the use that Opera want to put the game to. ;)

I'm contemplating having a go at this, but, whats the crack with assets? i generally release assets for free after a game, but i figure i'm not going to be able to do this for this jam? can anyone confirm any agreements for submissions? i can't see anything on the jam pages regarding ownerships after submissions. My assumption is if game not chosen you can do as you please but should it be chosen(not likely for me) what happens with the game afterwards?
You maintain all the rights to the project (and the assets it contains), afaik. Basically by submitting the project you are giving Opera a permanent LICENCE for the project, but not giving them OWNERSHIP of the project. The small print in the rules even states that this is a non-exclusive licence, so after submission you can still do pretty much anything you want with it, including selling it, giving it away, expanding it and changing it, etc...

Last edited:

Chaser

Just upload it when ready! Devlogs are rarely required for these kinds of things... :)

Personally, I would say that it's entirely up to you what you go with, but I'd suggest a 16:9 resolution and wouldn't think fullscreen is a good option considering the use that Opera want to put the game to. ;)

You maintain all the rights to the project (and the assets it contains), afaik. Basically by submitting the project you are giving Opera a permanent LICENCE for the project, but not giving them OWNERSHIP of the project. The small print in the rules even states that this is a non-exclusive licence, so after submission you can still do pretty much anything you want with it, including selling it, giving it away, expanding it and changing it, etc...
Thanks for the reply!, i did read the rules this morning(which you have to sign), so that and your reply is good. It's good to know that should a project come nowhere the dev can still go on to sell it later should they want to. :)

Micah_DS

BTW, lorac said the short story they gave was just given to inspire people - you don't need to use it, unlike the UFO theme.
The short story we wrote is just an inspiration for your game! The game must incorporate the UFO theme
Source (in the comments).

Since I've barely done much more than small tests in HTML5, I'm not sure my concept is viable, but I guess I'll find out once I get it to the point of doing a proper stress test. Good luck, everyone!

mar_cuz

Thanks. Can the resolution limits be confirmed at all? I've be using 960x540 scaled up to 1080p and now I'm not sure if I should run with it.

Thanks

Thanks. Can the resolution limits be confirmed at all? I've be using 960x540 scaled up to 1080p and now I'm not sure if I should run with it.

Thanks
From what I've seen, there are no hard rules about the game resolution - but, since the intention is for the game to act as a "lost Internet connection" page, you probably don't want the game to default to full screen (well, full browser window, I guess).

woodsmoke

My game is 360x360 pixels.
I'll probably stretch the pixels to 720x720 because there are screens out there with crazy pixel densities these days.

gnorts mr AlieN