• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Animation in GM2

S

Spiderwork

Hi everybody! I'm complete new to GameMaker and I wanted to ask you for a good method to animate sprites in GM2. When I'm looking at the features they are saying "Animation" support, but how does it works? And when I buy the desktop Version of GM2, as "expert" feature they say "Spine Support". Does this mean I can animate the sprites directly with GM2 or do I also need an external program like Spine or Spriter (is this supported?) ? And what do you think which way (and program) is the best to animate sprites?

Thank you very much for the help!

gnysek

The good method to animate sprites in GMS2 is to add several frames (images) to one sprite, and then setting image_speed in object.

Alright. Lots of bone based animation there. Spriter or Spine would be good for that kind of stuff. GM only supports Spine though, iirc, so that might be the best choice for you. You'll still need Spine, as far as I know, yeah.

P

PhenomenalDev

GMS 1.x has a market asset for Spriter support and I'm pretty sure there's one for spine.
Edit: Spriter*

Last edited by a moderator: