Graphics Animated Tiles

GM Version: Latest version of GM:S
Target Platform: ALL (Tested on windows, but should work on all)
Download: Project File with Animation System Scripts
Links: N/A

Summary:
A very efficient way to handle animating tiles in Game Maker Studio. Let me know if you have any questions!

IMPORTANT: THIS TUTORIAL IS UNNECESSARY IN GMS2! ANIMATED TILES ARE NATIVELY SUPPORTED

Tutorial:

Last edited:

Conbeef

Holy crap man, you're amazing! Thank you very much for the tutorial. I will subscribe to your youtube channel :).

B

Blackened

I am very eager to implement this into my project and compare how it performs against my current tile animation system. Something tells me this will be far more efficient. Currently my present system is sucking up nearly 400 fps_real in rooms which use it heavily vs rooms that do not have it active. The profiler shows a less than desirable hit as well. Part of the problem is my outdated gpu which is all the reason more to see if your system is an improvement. I am optimistic that it will be. I'll let you know. Thank you for your efforts @Pixelated_Pope !

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DeadEaster

The texture page preview seems to be missing from my options on that page. Am I running an outdated version?
upload_2016-11-16_23-4-29.png

M

mdbussen

Just wanted to say thanks for this great tutorial! I appreciate all of the work you do to help out the community. :D

I learned a few things I didn't know about GameMaker Studio from this video. Obviously, how to animate tiles. :cool: But also what the heck "textures" are - a way to use them more efficiently, and why I should bother. Thank you.

Didjynn

Hello,

First of all thanks for your work !

I tried to adapt it to make it work on GMS2, alas I could not make it work. I just would like to know if you think it is still possible to use that way in GMS2 ? Changing the tileset doesn't seem to reset and so change the tiles on the screen.

Cheers

Didjynn

do you know if it works with tiles added with code and not in the software ?

I got my answer : it does work.

I was wondering since autotiles do not if you add them in the game and not from the IDE

Last edited:
I didn't realise this was possible. Goes to show if you put your mind to it anything is possible... Too bad my mind falls asleep when trying to apply itself ha.

Thankyou for sharing this!