1. Hello Guest! It's with a heavy heart that we must announce the removal of the Legacy GMC Archive. If you wish to save anything from it, now's the time! Please see this topic for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Graphics Animated Tiles

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Pixelated_Pope, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Pixelated_Pope

Pixelated_Pope Member

GM Version: Latest version of GM:S
    Target Platform: ALL (Tested on windows, but should work on all)
    Download: Project File with Animation System Scripts
    Links: N/A

Summary:
    A very efficient way to handle animating tiles in Game Maker Studio. Let me know if you have any questions!

Tutorial:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  2. Conbeef

Conbeef Member

Holy crap man, you're amazing! Thank you very much for the tutorial. I will subscribe to your youtube channel :).

3. Pixelated_Pope

Pixelated_Pope Member

Thank you! Glad you liked the tutorial and I hope you enjoy the rest of my content.

4. Nocturne

Nocturne Friendly Tyrant Forum Staff Admin

This is a cool little tutorial, and your method for animating the tiles is indeed very efficient and well thought out! Good stuff. :)

5. Pixelated_Pope

Pixelated_Pope Member

Thanks, Noct. That means a lot coming from you.

6. Blackened

Blackened Guest

I am very eager to implement this into my project and compare how it performs against my current tile animation system. Something tells me this will be far more efficient. Currently my present system is sucking up nearly 400 fps_real in rooms which use it heavily vs rooms that do not have it active. The profiler shows a less than desirable hit as well. Part of the problem is my outdated gpu which is all the reason more to see if your system is an improvement. I am optimistic that it will be. I'll let you know. Thank you for your efforts @Pixelated_Pope !

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2016
    KingdomOfGamez likes this.
  7. DeadEaster

DeadEaster Guest

The texture page preview seems to be missing from my options on that page. Am I running an outdated version?
    upload_2016-11-16_23-4-29.png

8. Blackened

Blackened Guest

9. Pixelated_Pope

Pixelated_Pope Member

Oh, nothing of the sort! I was being genuine. As a long time GM user and forums member, I've always looked up to Nocturne. So it was a sort of "senpai noticed me" moment. lol

10. mdbussen

mdbussen Member

Just wanted to say thanks for this great tutorial! I appreciate all of the work you do to help out the community. :D

11. Pixelated_Pope

Pixelated_Pope Member

Thanks! Means a lot.

12. Yaywaffles95

Yaywaffles95 Guest

Thank you! This is very useful!

SilentxxBunny likes this.
  13. SilentxxBunny

SilentxxBunny Epsilon

I learned a few things I didn't know about GameMaker Studio from this video. Obviously, how to animate tiles. :cool: But also what the heck "textures" are - a way to use them more efficiently, and why I should bother. Thank you.

Pixelated_Pope likes this.