Animated "Loading" Image as GIF?

N

Nathan Matthews

Idk if anyone still uses GM8.1 but is there a way to make my loading image (for when the game starts up) as an animated GIF. I'm not sure if this needs to be coded in (if possible) because I tried it in global game settings and it was just the first image index.

N

Nathan Matthews

It'd be nice if this could be implemented into Studio

JackTurbo

Just make your own. Add a room right at the start with what ever sprite you wanted to animate in it and a timer or alarm that skips to the next room?

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Yeah, Studio lets you load arbitrary data into a buffer and then turn that buffer into anything you want, so you can use it to load all resources in the entire game in the first room or something (and then display the animated image in that room).

Yeah, Studio lets you load arbitrary data into a buffer and then turn that buffer into anything you want, so you can use it to load all resources in the entire game in the first room or something (and then display the animated image in that room).
Isn't there something to do with texture page swaps that can make that a potentially dodgy thing to do? Or am I mistaken? I thought each asset loaded in during run-time got it's own texture page or something like that?

CMAllen

Isn't there something to do with texture page swaps that can make that a potentially dodgy thing to do? Or am I mistaken? I thought each asset loaded in during run-time got it's own texture page or something like that?
It does and yes, that's definitely not a good approach. Your texture page swaps will balloon rapidly if you do that.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Good point, was mostly thinking about audio (which easily outsizes graphics in my games).

I think you can have all your graphics resources be 'load on first use', though, which causes the prebaked texture page to be loaded whenever a graphic on it is requested. A bunch of carefully managed draw_sprite() calls can be used to preload all of them when you'd like to...
(not sure if that's a textures group setting, I've just heard it exists but not HOW)

CMAllen

Good point, was mostly thinking about audio (which easily outsizes graphics in my games).

I think you can have all your graphics resources be 'load on first use', though, which causes the prebaked texture page to be loaded whenever a graphic on it is requested. A bunch of carefully managed draw_sprite() calls can be used to preload all of them when you'd like to...
(not sure if that's a textures group setting, I've just heard it exists but not HOW)
Yeah, definitely not the same issue with audio. And I believe a game's graphic settings are where you can specific the load behavior of graphics (but unloading them needs to be done in code, handled by you).