1. Hey! Guest! The 36th GMC Jam will take place between February 27th, 12:00 UTC - March 2nd, 12:00 UTC. Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

Animated "Loading" Image as GIF?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Nathan Matthews, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Nathan Matthews

Nathan Matthews Member

Idk if anyone still uses GM8.1 but is there a way to make my loading image (for when the game starts up) as an animated GIF. I'm not sure if this needs to be coded in (if possible) because I tried it in global game settings and it was just the first image index.

2. Nocturne

Nocturne Friendly Tyrant Forum Staff Admin

Nope can't be done. The splash screen can only be a static image (iirc).

3. Nathan Matthews

Nathan Matthews Member

It'd be nice if this could be implemented into Studio

4. JackTurbo

JackTurbo Member

Just make your own. Add a room right at the start with what ever sprite you wanted to animate in it and a timer or alarm that skips to the next room?

5. Yal

Yal GMC Memer GMC Elder

Yeah, Studio lets you load arbitrary data into a buffer and then turn that buffer into anything you want, so you can use it to load all resources in the entire game in the first room or something (and then display the animated image in that room).

6. RefresherTowel

RefresherTowel Member

Isn't there something to do with texture page swaps that can make that a potentially dodgy thing to do? Or am I mistaken? I thought each asset loaded in during run-time got it's own texture page or something like that?

7. CMAllen

CMAllen Member

It does and yes, that's definitely not a good approach. Your texture page swaps will balloon rapidly if you do that.

8. Yal

Yal GMC Memer GMC Elder

Good point, was mostly thinking about audio (which easily outsizes graphics in my games).

I think you can have all your graphics resources be 'load on first use', though, which causes the prebaked texture page to be loaded whenever a graphic on it is requested. A bunch of carefully managed draw_sprite() calls can be used to preload all of them when you'd like to...
    (not sure if that's a textures group setting, I've just heard it exists but not HOW)

9. CMAllen

CMAllen Member

Yeah, definitely not the same issue with audio. And I believe a game's graphic settings are where you can specific the load behavior of graphics (but unloading them needs to be done in code, handled by you).