1. Hey! Guest! The 35th GMC Jam will take place between November 28th, 12:00 UTC - December 2nd, 12:00 UTC. Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

Windows Animated Autotile Help

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by Menik, May 23, 2019.

1. Menik

Menik Member

Hello GMC

I've been struggling with animated autotiles, and getting them to animate during runtime. I've done some digging around the community looking for answers, and happened upon this line in a document:

"To create an animated Auto Tile set, simply make sure that each tile in your Auto Tile set is the first tile in an Animation set. In the room editor, the tiles will not animate, but as long as you place animated tiles in the editor using the first image in the animation, they will animate at runtime."
    https://csanyk.com/2016/12/gms2-impressions-tilesets-autotiling/

1) Regarding "Auto Tile set", does this mean I will have to create and name 47 separate animations from a single tileset image with the frames included? Or would I simply need to create a sprite with the frames of the tileset?

Thanks for reading.
    -Menik

2. Clara

Clara Member

Did you figure it out? :)

3. Yal

Yal GMC Memer GMC Elder

You need to have all 47 frames (I think there's a slightly easier 23-frame autotile now, for blob shapes only), but there's tools that can automate this process - check the marketplace. I think the leading one is named TileSetter, but it's a bit foggy... don't quote me on that.