• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Android - Scaling : might be a stupid question

YoKoNo

I've seen the game sword of xolan , and this is definitely the right design for me.

I've not got the android version of game maker studio yet, but how does the game scale down to android size screens? Can I use normal assets 32x32 and then they are scaled down in GMS?

Sorry if its a really stupid question, but I'm not 100% sure on reducing screen size and maintaining quality.

Many Thanks for your support

Paul

Morendral

You'll have to treat them very similarly to Windows, but with some different aspect ratios to deal with. Most Android phones have some very high resolutions which you will utilize the same sort of viewport upscaling you would on Windows.

So it's not really a question of quality reduction. You will simply test it on your phone until it is at a level you think appropriate and figure out how to keep that scale across the biggest variety of screen sizes. There is a tutorial on screen scaling which should help you

Mert

I don't scale it, nor I do extra work for it. I just make my game 1920x1080 and use the Game Maker's scaling option(you can find on GGS > Android)