• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker Android--Detecting/Handling Rounded Screens

G

Android phones now sometimes have displays that are physically rounded at the corner. By default, GMS2 will still use the space, but anything under the corners will be obscured. Android provides an isRound() method to determine if the screen is rounded, but to my knowledge GMS2 does not provide any access to that information.

Is there any way I'm missing to detect whether a device has rounded corners? Does anyone have any clever workarounds other than just avoiding that area on all builds? I know @Andrey mentioned the pain of deving for mobile screens in another thread, but I haven't seen much other discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
I would suppose it involves extension work. But since Android extension development isn't my field of expertise, I'll leave my reply at that and let the pros talk.

rIKmAN

You should also submit this as a bug report / suggestion linking to the Android isRound() docs and they should hopefully add a native GML function that wraps it.

Until then, like Frosty says you'd be looking at an Android extension to wrap it.