• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Android Android APK Is Too Large-How To Make Smaller?

J

JeZxLee

Hi,

Android APK size is critical - people who download pay by the gigabyte.
My GameMaker:Studio Android game is about 23 megabytes - too large.

It's a simple puzzle game with about 6.5 megabytes of music.
I've lowered the quality of the music which helped lower the overall size, but it's still not enough.
Is there something else I can do to significantly lower the final size of the Android APK?

I compile with the regular Android export module not the Android(YYC).
Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Roa

merge and manage texture pages, turn off compile for arm5 and mips, pre compress the audio before sticking it in gamemaker.

Aside from that. I dont know too many people that download games over data vs wifi

J

JeZxLee

merge and manage texture pages, turn off compile for arm5 and mips, pre compress the audio before sticking it in gamemaker.

Aside from that. I dont know too many people that download games over data vs wifi
Hi,

Cool, thanks for the tips.
Disabling "arm5" & "mips" lowers the APK from 23MB to 18MB.
I don't understand: "pre compress the audio before sticking it in gamemaker"?
You mean I can ZIP the music files and then add to the project?
(did not know that was an option)
Thanks!

Carnivius

@Roa Are arm5 and mips not important then? I don't know much about all this but I was testing my game but building an apk of it and after seeing this thread did it again ticking off those boxes and it was almost half the size and got built a lot quicker too.

Roa

@Roa Are arm5 and mips not important then? I don't know much about all this but I was testing my game but building an apk of it and after seeing this thread did it again ticking off those boxes and it was almost half the size and got built a lot quicker too.
I mean, you will get those people on them, but arm5 is pretty old now and most devices wont be good enough to do a lot of modern things anyways. People throw away devices every few years it seems which is well beyond this antiquated architecture. and mips I guess is more of a regional architecture that more than likely wont have access to the game. If it wasn't for the pushing for the atom line in the last 2 years for those power thirsty windows phones, I would say can x86 too. Those are becoming a little more popular across the board though.

If you are concerned about file size and not so much about a small percentage of audaince, then disabling those is the way to go as each one can add a few megs in itself I've noticed.

M

Meowmere

23mb isn't that big, mine is 17mb, which is really REALLY small compared to my other games... I had a simple one that was around 75mb. I mean, look at Plants vs Zombies 2, its really close to 1GB, its at 780mb now, and its still growing.