• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Android Android 11 memory crash message

Latelely I've been getting a lot of crash reports from users for my app in Google Play Console.

They seem to only occur on Android 11 and it appears to be related to this piece of code in the Room End event:

GML:
///ROOM END

part_emitter_destroy_all(global.ps1);
whereas ps1 is a global variable declared at game start

The stacktrace from the Google Play Console reports the following error after this particular line of code: MemoryManager::Free(void const*)

Screenshot_20210902-094128_Play Console.jpg

I haven't been able to reproduce this myself, and it seems the error is quite rare (1-2 times a day on >100 user sessions).
I've never encountered the error on other platforms: Windows, Mac, iOS or NintendoSwitch

Now I know these Android crash reports are hard to trace back to GML logic, but maybe someone has a guess what could be causing this issue?

GSM 2.3.3 SDK target 30

Last edited:

Ricardo

Maybe the particle system is being lost? IDK if part_emitter_destroy_all throws an error if the argument is not a valid particle system, but my first instinct would be to try something like this:
GML:
if (part_system_exists(global.ps1)) {
}

Maybe the particle system is being lost? IDK if part_emitter_destroy_all throws an error if the argument is not a valid particle system, but my first instinct would be to try something like this:
GML:
if (part_system_exists(global.ps1)) {
}
Thanks, good idea

Tried the function with a regular variable that's not a particle system... but no crash, nothing happens.

Ricardo

Thanks, good idea

Tried the function with a regular variable that's not a particle system... but no crash, nothing happens.
If that's the case, this is probably a bug YoYo Games needs to investigate and fix themselves. I'd suggest to try to get a dump of the error and file a bug. Sometimes just the log is enough for them to spot what's wrong with a specific function.