An Untitled Story by MattMakesGames (Unofficial FreeBSD Port)

S

Sam (Deleted User)

I'm porting the open source GM classic "An Untitled Story" by MattMakesGames to FreeBSD. Since GameMaker currently can't do this natively, I am using something else. Although, this is the GameMaker community, so I'm not going to be sharing any information on how I'm doing this, for the sake of following the forum rules.

Here's a video of the current progress, which will eventually turn into a playlist with more progress and bugfixes being shared as I progress...

On BSD I was having problems with OBS Studio recognizing any means of recording audio from my desktop, so unfortunately you won't hear anything, but the audio does work in the actual game. There are a few problems such as it is impossible to beat the second boss right now, and some sprites draw incorrectly, and the egg character doesn't rotate, but it's a good start, at least. It took a lot of work to get this far, and I'm not sure if I'll have the patience to completely finish the game.

Download the FreeBSD executable here, for those who are interested, this early on: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FnBOE2lPkynFKZIJyWsqRcixRfvg6lMi

Make sure you install it by running the "install.sh" file from the terminal first, which you might need to mark as executable, if it isn't already.

For those new to the BSD's, I recommend NomadBSD, (https://www.nomadbsd.org/). This is a very easy to install distro which installs to your flash drive with persistent storage, meaning you don't actually need to install it on any of your computers, simply write it to a flashdrive with a software like Rufus for Windows, and then boot into the installation wizard, to get a portable working desktop on your USB flash drive, that remembers all files you modify between booting sessions.

The executable I built is 64-bit, so if you are on Windows harware you will need to download the amd64 version, and Intel Mac users need the one made for Macs.

Last edited by a moderator:

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Its not my decisions...but I would think at the least in off-topic we should be allowed to post things done in other engines, etc... yeah, ONLY in off-topic, but yes in off-topic. The reason is that not only is it not really a bad thing to use other engines when this one can't handle what you want...but even if it could but can be done in an easier way, it can motivate people to make theirs better in my opinion, especially if the features shown and used are things that fit this engine and just haven't been added.