Feedback An Aspie Life Beginnings - JRPG/Adventure game about autism

Discussion in 'Work in Progress' started by EnderLost Studios, Jun 18, 2018.

1. EnderLost Studios

EnderLost Studios Member

An Aspie Life Beginnings
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Introduction

An Aspie Life Beginnings An Aspie Life Beginnings is the prequel to An Aspie Life. Set 9 years before the OG game. Telling the story of how Thales and Aislin first met. The An Aspie Life series is all about autism and trying to recreate what it is like to live with autism. This is done through the innovative mechanics, gameplay, style and sound. For the prequel, you will be able to choose between 3 characters to see their perspective on the world.

[​IMG]
    The story in more detail

“Winter, it’s cold… very cold. The coldest on record! Some say that winter is the season of death. I guess that’s true, but the white blanket that falls on the world. Is a canvas waiting to be carved.
    This town is full of story’s, A towns lifeline is its populating. There are mystery’s waiting to be solved, broken dreams and fortunes waiting to be resurrected. And in the middle of it all… was us. 3 kids who stumbled into an adventure we never saw coming.” - Aislin​

DOWNLOAD

Links

Music
    A sample of what the music is like.
    OST by Joe Watson

Love some feedback, would really appreciate it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  2. Toque

Toque Member

I like the concept. Nice parallax effect.

EnderLost Studios likes this.
  3. EnderLost Studios

EnderLost Studios Member

thanks

4. EnderLost Studios

EnderLost Studios Member

https://twitter.com/mebradhen/status/1010383350698110977

Hey there once again for #screenshotstatudray

This week I've been doing more work on the menus. The aim is to make a clean and simple menu system with a lot of functions.

As you can see, the diary is now located in the Main menu. As well as a few new functions.

Nothing too amazing. But this needs to be done before we can start the 'good' stuff.

See you next week!

5. EnderLost Studios

EnderLost Studios Member

[​IMG] New wallpaper, took ages to do

6. EnderLost Studios

EnderLost Studios Member

7. EnderLost Studios

EnderLost Studios Member

Felipe Rybakovas likes this.
  8. Tsa05

Tsa05 Member

I love the look of this~

9. MrPr1993

MrPr1993 Member

Wpw/// I love the aesthetics you're applying here ^^

10. EnderLost Studios

EnderLost Studios Member

11. EnderLost Studios

EnderLost Studios Member

12. EnderLost Studios

EnderLost Studios Member

13. Carloskhard

Carloskhard Member

The animations are looking good! I would recommend you to work on the reflection of the sun in the water since it looks fake, but the rest looks super nice

14. EnderLost Studios

EnderLost Studios Member

Thanks Carloskhard, you're right.
    When i get around to making the intro i'll fix that.

15. EnderLost Studios

EnderLost Studios Member

HEY THERE, people, it’s #screenshotsaturday time again!

Wow, the last few weeks have been hectic, Uni, Go4203 and Young ICT. I can hardly keep up!

Even with all this going on I have been working slowly on the game. The characters now have path following AI, correct collision boxes/checking and I’m now working on the game settings.

The development of this game is taking a lot longer than I first thought, but so far it’s looking really cool!

See ya next time!

Bradley
    Enderlost studios

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://twitter.com/EnderLostStudio/status/1035726866873634818

16. EnderLost Studios

EnderLost Studios Member

It’s a new week, Oh my! Another #screenshotsaturday.
    This week I have some fantastic news to share with you. AN ASPIE LIFE will be at PAX AUS this year! As part of a new exhibition called NEXT.

Considering this I have developed a new trailer for PAX Aus.
    As the beginnings, there has been some new features added and I’m still working on it. But I will tell you more about that next week. What I’m currently working on should be done by then, it’s really cool.

Well See you next week!

17. EnderLost Studios

EnderLost Studios Member

It’s been a while, like 2 weeks I think? Well, I haven’t been doing nothing! In that time, I’ve been working on the RPG battles. The good news is the systems are almost done and it’s onto the fun stuff…

Coding and drawing all the battle move and a few monsters! This is where things get really creative!

The JRPG battles in An Aspie Life Beginnings will focus around elemental powers. Each character has their own element, and this will be the focus of their power. It’s a pretty common RPG system. But to spice things up a bit, I’m adding a system called SPEED BOOST!

SPEED BOOST! Can be achieved by letting the turn timer energise 2 times without doing any attach. SPEED BOOST! will increase the attack damage you can deal to enemies. But in that time, you have to wait, you might get attached at by an enemy.

There are also a few more small tweaks to make combat interesting and fun but still simple to pick up and play.

In music in the video below is only a placeholder by the way.

Well, see you guys next week!

18. Kanugane

Kanugane Member

Oh, interesting. I've seen and read a comic about aspie at Tapas. I guess this project is related to that comic then?

19. EnderLost Studios

EnderLost Studios Member

I think I've seen that one. But no, it's not related to the comic. Only in subject mater.

20. EnderLost Studios

EnderLost Studios Member

Hello there once again!

A little late to #screenshotsaturday this week. But I wanted to finish what I was working on. Probably not the greatest idea, (now I’m behind on Uni work ☹).

Anyway, this week has brought some of the greatest improvements to the JRPG battles. We now have enemy’s that can fire at you… and make you lose EP points. I’ve also added fainting animations for each character when those points = 0.

I’ve also conducted a lot of work behind the scenes getting systems ready for the major attacks.​

21. EnderLost Studios

EnderLost Studios Member

[​IMG]

Hey there guys!

I’m off to PAX Aus tomorrow to show off An Aspie Life as part of the NEXT exhibition. If anyone is going to Pax AUS I hope to see you there!
    Anyway, onto the game!

Over the last 2 weeks, I have been working on the game’s RPG combat. Right now, I’m working on the ‘moods’ that can occur in battle. These are confusion, sleeping and possession. Confusion will cause the character to attach other allies. Sleeping will make the character fall asleep, unable to attach. And finally, possession is sort of the same as confusion but, there is no chance of them attaching the enemy while possessed.

I’ve got a list of everything else that needs to be implemented… and it’s very long.

Anyway, I hope to see some people at PAX AUS!
    See you next week!​

22. EnderLost Studios

EnderLost Studios Member

Oh man! It’s about time you did another ‘late’ #screenshotsaturday! Well, here I am once again bringing the news in new content!

Over the last 2 weeks, I have been working on a lot of behind the scenes code, stuff that will help me in the future. But as you can see in the video, you can now fail a battle or claim victory.

I’m very happy with how the result screens turned out, and they look clean and simple but still give you the right amount of information.
    Outside of that not much more to report on. As I said a lot of it is in the back end, controls etc.

Anyway, see yeah next week!​

23. Lucia

Lucia Member

oh, wow. you created amazing animations! So cool!

24. EnderLost Studios

EnderLost Studios Member

Yes, I did, thank you!

IDK about so of them, what ones do you like the most?

25. Lucia

Lucia Member

the sunrise. the prospective work is amazing.

26. EnderLost Studios

EnderLost Studios Member

Well, this week I’ve made some major improvements to the game. Items now work during battles, something that I’ve been trying to get to work for a while now. But here they are all with their own animations and ‘effects’.

From here I’m going to work on the magic attacks and major attacks. This is going to be tedious with HOW much animation I’m going to have to do, but it must be done.

Any thoughts on the items and their animations?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  27. EnderLost Studios

EnderLost Studios Member

Hey there again!

This week as been really productive in the development of the new game. Last week I finally got most of the groundwork done in the JRPG battles. So, this week I’ve been messing around with adding new attacks!
    There is still a lot more to go, now with these attacks, I can start to balance some of the gameplay. One step closer to releasing an early build.
    But hey, what do you think about them?

On another note, a reminder that An Aspie life has been nominated in the Australian Game Awards for Australian developed game! If you want to vote, get it in fast! https://www.australiangamesawards.com/vote/australian-developed-game-of-the-year/

Well, see ya all next week!​

28. EnderLost Studios

EnderLost Studios Member

It’s been a while…

Well for the last week I’ve been working on this OP.

What do you think?

mamacato likes this.
  29. mamacato

mamacato Member

Looks really cool.

30. Samuel Venable

Samuel Venable Time Killer

I was diagnosed with asperger's by a counselor because I argued with my parents. Or rather, I used to quite a lot. Doesn't exactly happen that much anymore. But I gotta say, I'm glad the guy who does my meds disagrees that I have it. I'm not over sensative to loud noises. I do get afraid of meeting new people at social events but that (being shy) is pretty normal. When I get to know people and get comfortable around them, (which usually takes a couple minutes of actually talking to them, nothing more) it really isn't that difficult. I can go to the "outside world" or the grocery store and sh*t without being afraid in the slightest. I really feel that if a person really has any of these issues they should be diagnosed with it, but I think in my former counselor's case he was abusing his authority as someone who could technically put labels stamped foreheads that people like me have to live with for life, even though his perception of reality was very skewed as he never got to see me mature into an adult that is no longer a hormonally-driven crazy teenager. Teens argue with parents. I've seen people who weren't diagnosed do much worse things, some things one might consider crazy or beyond retarded. Rant over.

The game has interesting visuals. More specifically your color choices. I wish you the best of luck on the project.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    mamacato and EnderLost Studios like this.
  31. EnderLost Studios

EnderLost Studios Member

365 days ago, An Aspie Life was released into the wild! So, on this first anniversary, I want to say thank you to all of you who followed that and the upcoming games development and of course played it. So, Thank you!

Well hey there again! For this weeks #screenshotsaturday i finished the school and its background! One thing I have learnt over this project so far, is that good art takes time. What I mean is my vision of the game is… VERY BIG! And as such the amount of backgrounds and detail I have to draw is far greater than the first time. So, it feels like it’s taking 3 times as long… and it because there is 3 times the amount of work with 3 times more detail. Regardless I’m picking away at it when I can between uni and slowly it’s starting to take form.

Now I’ve started work on the outside playground for the school and some of the characters that will populate it.

See ya next week!

32. EnderLost Studios

EnderLost Studios Member

The Flamboyant tomboy makes her introduction​

33. EnderLost Studios

EnderLost Studios Member

An Aspie Life Beginnings #screenshotsaturday

Hey there guys, it’s been some time.

Uni has been getting in the way, but I have been working on it whenever I get the chance. But I’ve almost completed the intro to the main part of the game. Only a little bit more to go until I release the first build. It’s really a great feeling seeing the characters that I’ve had in my head for so many years finally start to come alive inside the game.

Development will start up again through the upcoming holidays. The plan is to finish the battle system.

Anyway, that’s what’s been going on.

See ya guys soon.

34. EnderLost Studios

EnderLost Studios Member

Seabass (The Human) likes this.