• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

An abandoned world!

M

Misu

I dunno about you all but not a skeptical person when it comes to sharing stuff on the internet, including this. I have a huge admiration on abandoned places. I used to do urban spelunking when I was in college and boy was it so fascinating to explore what used to be marked by humans but lost in the past, never to remember again.

Over where I am from, abandoned places look like something that came out from the game "The Last Of Us" which is very nostalgic...

Here are some pics (from google Earth) that I know of...

Have you ever had any interest like this? Probably just me.

Nux

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
I've seen a few "The Proper People" videos, but I've never went to abandoned places myself; I'd constantly be telling myself "I'm not supposed to be here".

HayManMarc

I've always liked the old dilapidated shacks and barns in the countryside. Always thought it would be profitable to sell scale model dioramas of them.

S

signal

I'm a bit wary of abandoned places. You never know what kind of shady stuff goes on there, or who's lurking in the dark. I think artistically speaking, they're nice, especially in exploration games. The uncharted series makes great use of abandoned places.

The Last of Us was an awesome game. I definitely get what you mean when you say you like abandoned places. I have the same admiration for nature in general.. scenic landscapes, untouched by man.

M

Misu

Yeah, I get that feeling that these places might not be safe at all (mostly if it locates close to a ghetto). Although my experience is very risky and thrilling. Ive taken photos of bizzare places and pretty much a cool. Here are some I taken shots of myself...

Abandoned Institute

Abandoned School

Another abandoned school (but this one was very breath-taking)

I found exploring this one lovely

Z

zendraw

i love abandoned places, just dont like when they appear abandoned but in reality are infested with druggies at the night, there was this place i wanted to investigate, but was affraid to step on a needle and get hiv or some S#!_.

S

signal

Amazing photos! Has the zombie apocalypse come and gone already?

Micah_DS

i love abandoned places, just dont like when they appear abandoned but in reality are infested with druggies at the night, there was this place i wanted to investigate, but was affraid to step on a needle and get hiv or some S#!_.
THIS. To anyone who is into exploring these places, please watch your step and be careful when moving objects around. Not only can there be needles, but you may disturb various wild animals, and some are more dangerous than others.

But yeah, I'm totally into this stuff. Glad you made the thread, @Misu! Too bad there's nothing around where I live though, aside from some old barns here and there, but those are quite boring.

Z

zendraw

ah yes, moving or disturbing nature can be dangerous. once but in the forest, i pushed to the ground an old dead tree, and woe and behold, not long after a couple bee soldiers attacked me and my dog, i got away with 3 stings, my dog with one. this can be deadly to people who are allergic. bees also make hives in abandoned places.

M

Misu

Bees are not a problem over here (although its possible to find a wasp hive) but its most likely one to end up finding another dangerous bum wandering or living in any abandoned place. Its important that one must always carry something to defend themselves.

Z

zendraw

for a bum youd first have to open a conversation and check, sometimes they simply look dangerous.

Xer0botXer0

Senpai
I once walked into an abandoned double decker restaurant, from the old days. It was on a lake and full of graffiti and all. Decided to check out this really dark room, wanted to see how far out it goes so I just started walking and eventually I kicked into something. It wasn't hard like a wall and then it gasped. It was a sleeping hobo .-.

I have to admit abandoned places can be really interesting.. like abandoned factories, warehouses, houses and so on.

A

AnonyMouse

I never walk in such places (in the city only). When I was young such places that are looking abandoned were not really and always a man or a grandma jumps from the nowhere... Nowadays such places are full with sh**ts, some nasty people hiding there and around and dogs, dogs, plenty of big, nasty, aggressive dogs.

Xer0botXer0

Senpai
there was another abandoned one.. right on ththe corner of a popular three way. A house and not just a small house it had a tennis court and everything. But it's been empty for years and when ever we'd go past there you'd see people walking in and out from there. Eventually they demolished it.

There's an old abandoned mine here too, me and friends decided to check it out after going to this crater, the closer we got to the mine the more illegal miners you'd see. We decided to then back, I actually recently read in the local newspaper that the miners are now stationing gunners to protect themselves from gangs who were stealing the gold from them when they came out. And somehow cops are involved.. since they're mining illegally they can be arrested then dropped off elsewhere where the ore is kept by the cops and sold off I suppose.

can't think of any other places :3