• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Ammo - need advice

N

nlolotte

Hi guys, working on a metroidvania and just wondering do you guys find it easier having one type of ammo for all side weapons for example hearts in castlevania where if you change side weapons you dont lose ammo or do you prefer individual ammo more like zelda? please let me know!

Phil Strahl

Personally: I like having one ammo-type, but it's impossible to tell with just a prototype. Either way, keep your implementation open to changes so you can easily switch between these two paradigms when testing.

Cpaz

If you're going to have multiple ammo types, be sure you have a decent ammount of ammo refills, or multiple ways of refilling them. The best examples of this I can currently think of are Nuclear Throne and Doom.

But i'd try both options. See what works in the context of the rest of the game.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Having a single ammo type means ammo is easier to refill, but also easier to lose, so it might encourage a different playstyle. Especially if ammo refills are very common and the ammo cap is relatively low, you're encouraged to spend ammo and incorporate special weapons into your playstyle, rather than be encouraged to save them up for when they're really needed. I'm not a huge fan of how Portrait Of Ruin made enemies only drop money if your MP gauge was full, since it meant you'd more or less only obtain money by grinding or not use special moves at all, so be wary of mechanics like that.

I'd personally say the best approach would be having exactly two types of ammo, e.g. bullets and energy; this would also encourage the player to switch between two different weapons (you could even tweak the odds so ammo drops for whatever you aren't currently using are the most likely... and make sure switching between the two weapons is fast, so you don't need to open the menu every 5 seconds) and try out different ones.

N

nlolotte

What I've gone for is a energy bar mechanic you can only use items whilst you have energy to "conjur "them. I've paid close attention to ensure the player can constantly restore engery through the means of enemy random drops detecting if the players energy is low to increase the chance of a energy drop