• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Android Amazon FireTv Remote buttons

BarrowBloke

Hi,

I've been trying to use all the buttons on the FireTv Remote - including the 3 media buttons for Rewind, Play/Pause and Fast Forward.

I did this successfully a few years ago in GMS1 using the guide here:
Retroids Dev Blog
But this doesn't seem to work in GMS2.

So I thought I'd iterate through all the buttons on the Remote and get their values to see which one was triggered when I pressed the relevant physical buttons.
Gamepad_button_count() returned 40 buttons which was a surprise as there are only 12 physical buttons on the Remote (if you count dpad up/down etc as a button each).
And gamepad_button_value() showed nothing for any of these 40 buttons when I pressed any of the 3 physical media buttons.

I did look at the mapping returned by gamepad_get_mapping() but, if I understand the manual correctly, this just maps buttons to SDL constants.
The mapping string returned was:
none,Amazon Fire TV Remote,platform:android,a:b0,b:b4,dpup:b11,dpdown:b12,dpleft:b13,dpright:b14,

So I'm not sure what to do now. Can anyone advise on any more I might do?

Regards,

BarrowBloke

I've done some more investigation on this.

If I press the physical dpad up, left or right it can be read with the gamepad functions using constants gp_padu, gp_padl or gp_padr.
However if I press down on the dpad it doesn't trigger gp_padd but it can be read using keyboard_check(vk_down)

The 'Back' physical button triggers vk_backspace and gp_face2.
The physical button with the 3 horizontal lines triggers the 'M' key which can be read using keyboard_check(ord("M"))

This just leaves the 3 media buttons which don't seem to trigger anything except for vk_anykey.