OFFICIAL Amaze Me Game Jam

Ericbomb

Would it be a bad suggestion to say maybe there should be another stickied thread somewhere that is specifically for people talking about their projects, looking for teams, looking for beta testers, ect.?

Rob

Would it be a bad suggestion to say maybe there should be another stickied thread somewhere that is specifically for people talking about their projects, looking for teams, looking for beta testers, ect.?
I second that and I'm looking for an artist/musician to team up with!

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Can you clarify the situation regarding providing source code please @rmanthorp? You said you were sure it wouldn't be public, but haven't actually confirmed this, nor - if it's NOT public - what we'll have to do to let YYG see it.

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Can you clarify the situation regarding providing source code please @rmanthorp? You said you were sure it wouldn't be public, but haven't actually confirmed this, nor - if it's NOT public - what we'll have to do to let YYG see it.
Yes. Not public. Anything you don't want to share don't share and when it comes to judging/confirmation we will reach out privately if we require proof of GMS2.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Got my entry done in time and submitted it right away when submissions opened!

I noticed there were a bunch of questions on Itch about what the rule about submitting the source files was about, not sure if they got officially addressed?

Anyway, I've been crunching for like 14 days now (doing 4 jams in a row) so it's nice to finally be through the intense production phase and get to sleep off some of the sleep debt I've accrued...

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I noticed there were a bunch of questions on Itch about what the rule about submitting the source files was about, not sure if they got officially addressed?
Yes, that was addressed. No need to make the source public, but YYG may request to see it. If they do it won't be made public either, just between you and YYG. :)

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Yes, that was addressed. No need to make the source public, but YYG may request to see it. If they do it won't be made public either, just between you and YYG. :)
I specifically meant addressed over at itchio (so the people asking there would get an official verdict instead of having to rely on word-of-mouth)... but either way I guess it's a bit late now with just a few days left to the deadline, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Extremely slick and polished entry, congrats Mark, looks and plays really well. That global leaderboard is a nice lure to just have one more game too :)
Thanks! I kept the scope really small for this one, and made the game loop as short as possible so that if you die you pretty much start immediately again. Keeping the concept simple meant I could concentrate on polish, and I honestly think that - even though this is a Jam game - that this is one of the most polished games I've made!
Fun game... FYI your submission isn't categorized for any platform (its windows but doesn't show up when filtering for windows).
Thanks for playing! I've fixed the issue with it not being flagged for windows, so thanks for pointing that out!

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Absolutley, would love to know how to do a few of the things you have implemented actually. Any chance of the source code being released on this one? :)
Unlikely, I'm afraid, but feel free to fling me a DM with any questions and I'll be happy to answer as best I can.

Japster

Well, I finally managed to get a game entered into a Game Jam! - Well done to everyone else too! - Here's my first jam game's entry page....

EDIT! - Fixed access to game page now! - HUGE thanks @Nocturne!!

Click here for NEON STAR's Jam page!

NS_Splash_LR.png

Capture6 (1).png

Cap4.png

NOTE - The game runs SILKY SMOOTH, unlike that software video capture!... :(

I'd be VERY interested in what scores people get - there's theoretically NO limit, but well, I'm old, and can't get more than 860,000 PTS! (I've got a mental block)....

Just left and right mouse button! - one HELD DOWN for direction - clockwise / counter-clockwise, and the opposite button HELD or TAPPED for turbo / boost, to get out of trouble etc...

Letting go of the direction mouse button (or keys - left and right cursors work fine too, with SPACE for turbo), will instantly swap directions, and pressing that button again will become the TURBO button. Simple, but works GREAT.... :D

The longer you hold ANY direction, or are moving by swapping direction, the higher the multiplier goes - Nerves Of Steel reap HUUUUUUUGE rewards!

Windows, Browser, AND Android builds available from the game's Jam page!!

Have fun guys, and post up some scores!!! :D

(NOTE - I will of course absolutely provide the source project privately to the judges to confirm, but I'm fairly sure anyone can see at a glance that it's nothing that can't be easily done in GMS2 anyway... ;) )

Attachments

Last edited:

Pixel-Team

Master of Pixel-Fu
I hate to sound like a poor sport, but a couple games submitted which I won't name have been made long before the jam, one was even submitted to older jams. One of the reasons I participate in these game jams is that it's generally accepted that the games are at least started from scratch or from a proof of concept. The GMC Jams have a much more level playing field I think, whereas the itch.io jams are like the wild west, where people are just entering games from their libraries. If I thought I was going to be competing against pre-made games I honestly wouldn't have bothered. I don't really care about the cash prize, I mainly wanted to push for some more exposure, but just how fair is the Amaze Me Jam, really?

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
I hate to sound like a poor sport, but a couple games submitted which I won't name have been made long before the jam, one was even submitted to older jams. One of the reasons I participate in these game jams is that it's generally accepted that the games are at least started from scratch or from a proof of concept. The GMC Jams have a much more level playing field I think, whereas the itch.io jams are like the wild west, where people are just entering games from their libraries. If I thought I was going to be competing against pre-made games I honestly wouldn't have bothered. I don't really care about the cash prize, I mainly wanted to push for some more exposure, but just how fair is the Amaze Me Jam, really?
I really appreciate this feedback. I totally get what you mean and this was very much us testing some rules for Jams as it's something we want to get into more frequently. We've been pretty lose with the rules this time around but will probably look to tighten things up in the future. So I value this! Thanks and sorry if you felt put off.

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
I hate to sound like a poor sport...
The rules didn't forbid submitting pre-made games, and YYG definitely publicly gave the go ahead to start before jam weekend.

We (Chequered Ink) made our entry specifically for the jam, but earlier than the submission period itself. I don't really begrudge people entering stuff they already had laying around - it might not be within the spirit of game jams but it was technically within the rules of this one.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
The very first thing I said (and the second post in this topic) was:
Although, in seriousness, the rules do seem a little lax. Nothing to stop people sending in previously released games, or more than one game, or games using ripped assets...
And the reply I got...
I hear you about the rules. I had brought this up but I think we ultimately wanted the rules light as a bit of testing ground for how we are going to be running future events. I'm happy to hear feedback on this but yes. With the theme in mind you are welcome to toy away with ideas or even get started. Likewise if you can re-use previous assets to fit the theme you are welcome to do so! Obviously don't get stealing things - maybe we should make that clear... If people are uncomfortable with this format we're happy to hear about it and consider a change for future events. :)
So, this is fine for the Jam and was expected. If you don't like it I'd say you should make a topic about it on the Jam Itch.io community page and let YYG know you're unhappy, and give others an opportunity to voice their own concerns their too. That way, future Jams will have a stricter ruleset.

Pixel-Team

Master of Pixel-Fu
The very first thing I said (and the second post in this topic) was:

And the reply I got...

So, this is fine for the Jam and was expected. If you don't like it I'd say you should make a topic about it on the Jam Itch.io community page and let YYG know you're unhappy, and give others an opportunity to voice their own concerns their too. That way, future Jams will have a stricter ruleset.
Done. If anyone else thinks the rules left any room for abuse, (or if you disagree) here is the topic.

Last edited:

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Yeah, while I'm perfectly fine with developing the game as soon as the theme is revealed (even if it's week before submission period opens), I'd rather not have people send pre-existing games altogether.

Likewise, I'm fine with using pre-existing assets (be it graphics, audio or code), but I'd prefer if listing these pre-existing assets was mandatory (e.g. "I used the Auto-wall-tiling code I got from the Marketplace, and also copied over some simple UI controls I made earlier"). That way at least we know what was actually made in the Jam timeframe (counting from theme reveal to end of submission period) and can adjust the ratings accordingly.

--- EDIT ---

Also, one potential way to improve "auditing" of pre-Jam content would be to restrict people to assets that were publicly available before the Jam.
Whether completely free like e.g. royalty free music or paid like some Marketplace assets - the important thing is that others could reasonably obtain the same premade assets before the Jam if they knew where to look.

Last edited:
I liked having the theme announced like 2 weeks before a 3-4 day submission period, but I do agree with the criticism I'm seeing here about the loose rules leaving the gate open for people to submit older projects. Like I think it should be ok to re-use like a menu system or something so you don't have to burn precious development time on some of the more mundane aspects of game development (like title menus and stuff), but the core gameplay should be developed during the jam period.

Anyway, I submitted my entry - Neon Maze Escape. If anyone wants to check it out, that'd be super cool.
banner.png
screen02.png screen03.png screen04.png

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat
I'm done! Now to polish it for the next 2 hours.
It's not as much of a visual feast as some of these entries (seriously, everything here is GODLY), but I'm happy with it, and it does what I want it to on a mechanical level.
I'm calling it...

TACTICAL ROOM CLEARING ACTION
NEON GEAR

Pixel-Team

Master of Pixel-Fu

Zodaris

Managed to get my project into a presentable state and submitted about 10 minutes before submissions were due, haha. Considering how it was my first time doing anything with 3D (and racing games. And never used that many shaders before) I think it came out pretty good! Granted I didn't have time to put in sound or make more than one track, but oh well. Literally made a screenshot as I was uploading it too. :D