• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Released AmalgamA - A game about finding pretty things

D

Diogo

Hello, there.

I've managed to "finish" something this time around, so here it is.

The game itself is simply about connecting the loose ends. There are different game modes based on how much they ask of the player, Endless being the most laid back, appropriate for the majority of people, I believe.

https://maxmet.itch.io/amalgama

I won't say anything else about its aspects, but I'll be happy to talk about them with someone in the comments. Mainly, I want to see whether or not people will notice some of the things without knowing what to expect, at first.

2016-09-29 21_00_25-GameMaker_ Studio.png 2016-09-29 21_00_35-GameMaker_ Studio.png2016-09-28 18_26_36-GameMaker_ Studio.png
2016-09-29 16_39_36-GameMaker_ Studio.png

I hope you enjoy. :)

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
This is a beautifully made game. The interface is elegant and artistic. And making the available options slide in from off-screen when they're called, reminds me of the new Windows desktops. Pretty slick.

The puzzles are interesting and challenging, and you provide several different puzzle options. I've tried each option, but so far I've only explored a few different automata rules and grid sizes. Some of the puzzles were quite simple and others were more challenging.

Each puzzle is different, and there are seemingly an endless number of them. But the mechanics of solving the puzzles seem very similar each time. So one concern would be that players might lose interest in the gameplay after a while. But it's too early too tell -- because different rules produce such different patterns. So I'll be playing a while and exploring the different options.

I enjoy different forms of cellular automata from an artistic viewpoint. So one thought would be adding an option that just allows players to create and visualize different forms, without the puzzle aspect. I now that's not the primary focus here, but it might add a fun diversion.

Anyway... this is really quite nice. I enjoy seeing something completely different on the GMC. Well done.

D

Diogo

Thank you, I appreciate it! :)
I really dislike implementing interfaces, so I guess I was just trying to hide them as much as possible, haha!

I chose not to include more mechanics for simplicity's sake. There are other games that do the mechanics part better (LOOP on Steam comes to mind), with hand-made puzzles and several different mechanics. But I had a different intention, with this one. :)
And, as you said, complexity can be found in the automata, if people find the patterns interesting. I hope! hehe

I will release a "tool" to just generate the automata and try other color schemes for each pictures. I'm just trying to understand how to build a Voronoi Diagram and implement it. I think it may add a nice effect to the pictures.

Once again, thanks! I enjoy exploring things outside "strictly games" and hopefully I can share the feeling with my own games.

Y

yakmoon

wow, i just played this game for half hour without noticing the time. its super impressive and artistic, thank you for sharing.

Sabnock

great game. I really got lost in that for a while and like above I lost track of time.

do you plan to release it?

D

Diogo

Thanks! :) I'm learning the whole process of simple pattern finding zones people out. Hopefully in a good way.

do you plan to release it?
Haha what do you mean by "release"? Everyone can play it for free and comment on it, so I guess that counts as released?

Sabnock

Thanks! :) I'm learning the whole process of simple pattern finding zones people out. Hopefully in a good way.

Haha what do you mean by "release"? Everyone can play it for free and comment on it, so I guess that counts as released?
I mean release as in sell it. or at least make it available on android google play / ios. I think it would do well as it is one of those games that hooks you in. A bit like word brain which is flipping addictive for what it is.

D

Diogo

sell it. or at least make it available on android google play / ios.
I don't really want to sell the first game I make. If I can make smaller, free games, I'll keep doing it. Maybe I'll set up a PayWhatYouWant thing, eventually, but I just wanted to share something, as a start.

About iOS and Android... I guess I could export it, but I think the game is most interesting in the bigger puzzles (most of the screenshots). At that point, performance is probably problematic on a phone... and so is the size of the board. For the basic mechanic, there are already games out there that fulfill that need, and I don't think that phones are the right environment for the exploration aspect of this game.

Also, I don't have either a Mac, nor an Android phone, so testing would be harder. I don't know, I may look into it in the future, but I have no intention of doing it, right now.

Anyway, thanks for your interest! :)