• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion Am I the only one that does not approve of having to repurchase export modules?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Charyb

I feel like everyone else seems to be okay with this or not aware that this is a thing.

I just recently found out that when you upgrade to GMS2, you cannot use your export module licenses from GMS1. Meaning if you spent hundreds of dollars on iOS, Android, HTML5, and others, then you cannot use them in GMS2 unless you repurchase them specifically for GMS2.

The only upside to this is that if you had these modules on GMS1, you get a 40% discount (or so I hear) as well with both Android and iOS being bundled together as a "Mobile Export". This in my opinion though, is not acceptable to me as the majority of modules I bought were bought right when GMS1 came out back in 2012, so they were pretty damn expensive. And now just to upgrade the IDE and a bit of functionality, I feel like I should not have to repurchase all of these modules I bought for hundreds of dollars for essentially the same product with a few fairly big added features.

I suppose you could say, why not just stick with GMS1 if GMS2 only has "a few added features". Clearly GMS2 comes off as pretty superior to GMS1, and it's something I'd really like to use over GMS1. But at the same time, I feel like GMS1 updates are going to be heavily rarely supported and more work would go into updating GMS2, so I feel like I'm getting the short end of the stick.

Honestly, I am completely fine with the initial upgrade cost if you already have a GM:S Professional License. That makes sense to me, but repurchasing all of the export modules, does not. From a business point of view I see what YoYo and their parent company is doing, but it seems a bit too expensive especially for users who have used the product from day one.

What's worse though, is the fact that you can no longer buy export modules for GMS1 after GMS2 gets fully released. I'm failing to understand the logic here for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Aura

Many don't like this. Most of us do. That's because we agree that GMS 2 is a completely new iteration and a totally different product at this point. Getting acquired by Playtech was a thing mainly for the purpose of maintaining the availability of funds for further development of GMS 2. This is another such step. As a company, YoYo have every right to make sure that they make as much profit as they can, so that they don't have to suspend further development. If they distributed GMS 2 for free to existing users, expecting them to continue development using the funds from new purchases would have been moronic.

If you've purchased GMS1 and the export modules back in 2012 (4-5 years ago) and you haven't made back your investment via exported games sold in that time, then why are you even contemplating purchasing GMS2 and the export modules at all? If you are only in this for fun (and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that) then why do you even need all the export modules any way?

What I am getting at is that people can use GMS to make games for fun or as a business (not that business can't be fun, mind you). If you are in it for fun, then you spend as much money as you allow yourself to spend on fun. But if it's for business? Then you look at things differently. At least I do.

I personally don't have an issue with YYG charging for the export modules. Because I hope to create a game I'd like to sell, I will plan out which export modules I'll need and purchase only the one or ones that will suit my purpose. It's the cost of doing business. If I determine that I won't be able to even make back the money I'd spend on the export module(s), then I had better drop into the "for fun" category or stop all together.

GMS2 is a game creation tool. It can be used to create games you can play with your friends and at home, but then you'll have to determine how much you're willing to spend for this sort of fun. But GMS2 is also used professionally and that usually, at some point, costs money ... money that is an investment ... money that you hope will give you a return on your investment ... and then some.

When it comes to professional game creation, I think GMS2 and the export modules are inexpensive compared to what you can make with them.

csanyk

Would you prefer that YoYo cease development and support of the export modules, then? No? Then expect to pay for them. Businesses don't do stuff that makes them no money.

C

Charyb

Many don't like this. Most of us do. That's because we agree that GMS 2 is a completely new iteration and a totally different product at this point. Getting acquired by Playtech was a thing mainly for the purpose of maintaining the availability of funds for further development of GMS 2. This is another such step. As a company, YoYo have every right to make sure that they make as much profit as they can, so that they don't have to suspend further development. If they distributed GMS 2 for free to existing users, expecting them to continue development using the funds from new purchases would have been moronic.
I completely agree with what you're saying. However I never stated I think GMS2 should be free. Not at all.

Understandably yes, they do have a right to make the modules fairly expensive and force users to repurchase them. While 40% off is quite a lot and seems reasonable, it's still fairly expensive for something I've already purchased for a product I may have to be forced to use in the future because the old version may not get as much exposure to updates. I've seen it happen with lots of products (and games). I'm already seeing a large lack of updates for GMS1 EA and Non-EA and I fear it will get worse as GMS2's launch nears.

I guess some people just don't seem to mind the repurchasing after all. I suppose I'm one of the few.

I am sure some do mind repurchasing. But each of us have different reasons for either not minding or minding. For me, it is mainly a business purchasing decision. As such, I factor in the cost of what I need weighed against what I hope to do and earn with it. If the costs don't at least balance out for me, then I would mind. I don't believe that will be the case, though.

And, to be frank, a single license of my 3D software cost me more than GMS2 and what the export modules will cost all together. So, GMS2 is less expensive than many other professional grade tools out there.

C

Charyb

And, to be frank, a single license of my 3D software cost me more than GMS2 and what the export modules will cost all together. So, GMS2 is less expensive than many other professional grade tools out there.
Yup that is definitely true.

rIKmAN

I would reiterate everything @SilverSurfer1221 said, spot on.

I'd also add that if you divide the cost of what you paid for GMS and the export modules over the 5yrs since you bought them, and compare that yearly cost against other things such as nights out, cigarettes, coffees, work lunch, playing sports etc - basically anything else you regularly spend money on that isn't really essential, then you've had a pretty good ROI per hours used.

That's only if you use it just for fun too, if you made money from selling any games or apps then it should have paid for itself.

I also agree with @csanyk in that I want export modules that are regularly updated to work each time Google, Apple or Microsoft change or update their stores or SDKs, and not be left with software that I can't use because YYG have gone under due to an unsustainable business model, leaving no updates for anyone, ever.

Hopefully the updates will be more timely with GMS2 and we won't have another Libpng situation, but I guess only time will tell.

Mick

I'd also add that if you divide the cost of what you paid for GMS and the export modules over the 5yrs since you bought them, and compare that yearly cost against other things such as nights out, cigarettes, coffees, work lunch, playing sports etc - basically anything else you regularly spend money on that isn't really essential, then you've had a pretty good ROI per hours used.
I mostly agree but to the notion of coffee not really being essential, I don't.

GMS2 is a different product.

Do you complain to the car dealership when you buy a second car (for nearly 50% off, being a valued prior customer) and then have to pay for the optional extras like roof racks, mag wheels, sports kit, etc... to make it on par with the extras your old car had?

(All this while keeping your original car, which is in perfect working order also)
If I bought the original car even though it was a little janky and broken because the dealer promised me he'd come to my house and fix the room editor and IDE brakes and steering wheel "like, really soon, for serious," and then told me "nevermind, your brakes and steering wheel are impossible to fix, but here's a new car I made with brakes and a steering wheel that actually work that I'll generously let you buy for a whole 40% off, lol," after dicking me around for three years then yeah, I might complain. I might also wonder what I'm going to find wrong with the new car he's got on the lot once I buy it and take it home. :p

I'd probably also still buy his stupid new car, because all the other ***holes in the city are selling either bicycles or eighteen wheelers, hahah.

Last edited:
If I bought the original car even though it was a little janky and broken because the dealer promised me he'd come to my house and fix the room editor and IDE brakes and steering wheel "like, really soon, for serious," and then told me "nevermind, your brakes and steering wheel are impossible to fix, but here's a new car I made with brakes and a steering wheel that actually work that I'll generously let you buy for a whole 40% off, lol," After docking me around for three years then yeah, I might complain. I might also wonder what I'm going to find wrong with the new car he's got on the lot once I buy it and take it home. :p

I'd probably also still buy his stupid new car, because all the other assholes in the city are selling either bicycles or eighteen wheelers.
However, since the dealer offered you a free trial to test out the first car and you bought it despite knowing what was wrong with it (and no guarantee that promises made would be fulfilled), then there is really no reason for you to get upset. You bought the car (GMS1) as is. However, they are still going to update the car (GMS1), right? So, it is possible that the brakes and steering wheel might still get fixed. Thus, you get to keep the old car (GMS1) and buy the new car (GMS2) at a discount. And there is no reason to wonder what you'll find wrong with the new car (GMS2) because the dealer is offering you a free trial to fully test it out first.

However, since the dealer offered you a free trial to test out the first car and you bought it despite knowing what was wrong with it (and no guarantee that promises made would be fulfilled), then there is really no reason for you to get upset. You bought the car (GMS1) as is. However, they are still going to update the car (GMS1), right? So, it is possible that the brakes and steering wheel might still get fixed. Thus, you get to keep the old car (GMS1) and buy the new car (GMS2) at a discount. And there is no reason to wonder what you'll find wrong with the new car (GMS2) because the dealer is offering you a free trial to fully test it out first.
"When businesses don't keep their promises, there's no need to get upset."
We'll have to agree to disagree there, friend. :'D

Ubu

Do you complain to the car dealership when you buy a second car (for nearly 50% off, being a valued prior customer) and then have to pay for the optional extras like roof racks, mag wheels, sports kit, etc... to make it on par with the extras your old car had?
If I had to pay 13 times more for the optional exstras than I paid for the car, I might have considered complaining. :p

(All this while keeping your original car, which is in perfect working order also)
Could've sold the original car to cover some of the cost, can't do that with GMS1 ;)

I don't have a problem with repurchasing but I think the price for the modules are a little steep.

Last edited:

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Well, I've had to buy Star Wars 7 times now due to the different formats and editions that have come out over the years. Should I write to Disney and demand a free "upgrade" as the film hasn't exactly changed in all this time?

Seriously. Been discussed to death. The modules ARE different. They are more optimised, they have extra features. You can still use 1.x without a problem, but if you want all the new features of 2, you have to buy 2.

We're not a charity, and we've even offered up to a 50% discount. It's your choice - we're not forcing you to.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.