1. Hey! Guest! The 32nd GMC Jam will take place between Feb 22nd, 12:00 UTC (Friday noon) and Feb 25th, 12:00 UTC (Monday noon). Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

Windows Alternative stores

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by Clemens van Brunschot, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Clemens van Brunschot

Clemens van Brunschot Member

I am searching for an online game store where I can publish my Windows game (free and paid version) without the problem that customers get warnings from Windows Defender when downloading installing or (first time) running the game. Specifically I look for alternatives for Windows Store and Steam. My game will not be digitally signed nor will it have a Microsoft certificate. That is too expensive. The ZIP package from GMS2 will still cause a warning if I distribute it myself. I looked at page https://www.topbestalternatives.com/windows-store/ but maybe some of you knows what helps.

2. Siolfor the Jackal

Siolfor the Jackal Member

Gog.com are a great store.
    People seem to like itch.io a fair bit too. So I'd start with these ones personally.

Clemens van Brunschot likes this.
  3. Mert

Mert Member

Steam is like the Facebook of gaming platform. Everybody has it and use it daily, keep that in mind. You might eventually want to get on Steam.
    However, other stores are awesome and many people use them too. Itch.io, gog, indiegala, gamejolt are some of the examples.

Clemens van Brunschot likes this.
  4. Clemens van Brunschot

Clemens van Brunschot Member

Thanks guys. Itch.io it will be! Using their app to run the game in, the customers will NOT get the Windows Defender warnings, since that app is digitally signed. Clever work. I tried it and it looks just fine.